Re: Virtual boy Repair Service!
Posted on: 2009/9/18 17:18
Virtual Freak
Joined 2009/9/14
USA
98 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years)
DogP:

So Far I've been having great luck with the heat gun, Mine has a temp adjust that goes from low (about 100 degrees to high around 600 degrees) as well as a tip/nozzle that helps it focus on a smaller area. So far I've had great luck, but you gotta keep it moving :P

So far the ones I fixed in the last year (varying from 3-12 months) are still working great. I have seen a few problematic ones that needed solder.

Curious, what did you used to charge for repairs? just curious.

HorvatM:

I'm gonna revamp my site pretty soon and add a Price guide and more info later tonight, shoot me a email tonight and I'll get back to you on the repair. I'll set up a record and add your repair to the status blog :P

Typically I would charge $30 for the labor to fix the glitchy eyes, but since you'd be my first customer, I'll discount it to $20 and see if you can determine what speaker, I can replace it with a good one for $15?

So you're looking at about $35 (and 2 shipping labels both ways) as long as no other parts are needed than the 1 Speaker. You can use any shipping method you like, I recommend tracking and insurance, and I'll repackage the system exactly the same way you ship it to me and slap on the shipping label and ship it back when done.

Thanks Everyone!

Posted on: 2009/9/22 4:08
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
For the few that I repaired for others, I charged $25 each, plus return shipping. I dunno if more systems are just dying now, VB system prices have gone up, or if that's just more than people are willing to spend (especially w/ shipping), but I only had 2 or 3 people actually send me VBs. I've definitely had many more people email me in the last year than before, but I don't have time to do them anymore :/ .

Good luck though... I hate seeing all these VBs dying :( .

DogP

Posted on: 2009/10/2 17:57
Virtual Freak
Joined 2009/9/14
USA
98 Posts
Just fixed The first (and hopefully, of many :P) Virtual Boys!

Check it out on my site!

Http://www.JohnnyPhantom.me

Coming Soon Features to the site!
- A Phone Number
- Pictures
- My Collection
- General Updates
- Suggestions?
- Possible iPhone Repair Tracker App?

Thanks Everyone!

~John

Posted on: 2009/10/5 17:01
Virtual Freak
Joined 2009/9/14
USA
98 Posts
Hey All,
After a few repairs I think I'd rather just do the Solder method for ALL repairs, only because it's a more stable/secure solution.

I've been having trouble removing the laminate from the cable.
I've Tried Drano crystals that contained Sodium Hydroxide, but , doesn't seem strong enough to melt it. I've used a sharp knife in the past but take a lot of time and makes me a lil nervous (not so much as cutting myself as it is to ruin the cable)

Just looking for recommendations, sadly no store near me (unless I've missed it) carries Roebic brand Drain Opener. (May just special Order it online)

any other Suggestions you would like to see for your unit's repair process?

suggestions on brand/type of solder iron?

What I intend to do to make repairs EVEN FASTER! Like Same day done

Is fix a batch of the eye LED transmitters with the solder method, test them, and when a unit comes in just swap them out. Then units shipped back same day.

This all sound good to you guys?
I'll make each eye repair job only $20! (plus shipping both ways)
Won't matter if just 1 eye is bad I'll replace both for the one cost

~John

Posted on: 2009/10/6 1:54
Virtual Freak
Joined 2008/10/14
91 Posts
Thats a good idea, that way you will be able to send people working virtual boys, fixed - guaranteed.

I used a very fine sandpaper to slowly sand the ribbon cable that way i got to solder it. Just an idea

hope it helps

Posted on: 2009/10/6 2:12
Nintendoid!
Joined 2009/8/11
USA
112 Posts
I considered doing VB repair. One idea I had was to as you suggest have displays fixed on hand. In order to save on shipping, my idea was to sell a "kit" that would include 2 fixed screens, and the tool bit in order to open the Virtual Boy. The kit would be something like $25 or whatever, but shipping would be much cheaper. Then, you would offer money back if they returned their broken displays along with the tool. I hate to ship the VB if not necessary, so that was my workaround.

To remove the FFC backing I bet you could use this stuff rather than the drain cleaner...

http://mouser.com/ProductDetail/MG-Ch ... XQx2ktnP2R5Pl77QFKw%3d%3d

All it contains is de-ionized water and sodium hydroxide. I have some on hand, if you want I could test to see if it would work. I don't know if it comes in a smaller quantity, as that would be a lifetime supply for just jive old VB displays!

But anyway, my experience is you don't even need to remove the backing to solder it. I'll try to get a video up soon showing how I do it.

I couldn't support you if you were doing the oven method (being your heat gun method is the same thing), but if you are going to do the soldering route, then I would be happy to give you any help I can in order to save the VB population.

-Matt

Posted on: 2009/10/6 9:48
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1464 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
@Johnny: did you heat the NaOH solution? It has to be hot to dissolve the coating.

@mbuchman:

I don't have experience with the NaOH method, but, from DogP's description, 4-10% solution doesn't sound strong enough. I also agree that soldering is pretty easy without removing the coating first.

Your "repair kits" idea sounds like a good solution.

Posted on: 2009/10/6 22:05
Virtual Freak
Joined 2009/9/14
USA
98 Posts
Hi
Thanks for all the comments.

I did heat the solution itself, and placed it into a hot/warm toaster oven that was off, no dice.

I tried Drano Kitchen Crystals and Roto 100% LYE crystals from Ace Hardware no luck.
Will try the sandpaper idea on my test eye. If that doesn't work I will then just order the Roebic stuff from online.

I had no problems with the heat gun/oven method in the past so far no problems came back (knock on wood) but if I wanna start repairing these systems for good ol' paying customers, I cant skimp on the repair with a method that may or may not possibly fail. So Solder method is the only option I feel right in doing for customers.

I also can't wait till Wednesday/Thursday-ish I have a lot of cool Virtual Boy stuff coming in for my own collection. ^-^

I'd also rather do the repairs myself than to do a kit for now. If I were to offer kits I would need a lot more repaired eye units than I do now.
In the future this may not be a bad idea, but for now I'll keep it the way it is now. Where it is a mail in, plus I have a lot more spare parts for the system so I can also replace things like plastics, eye lenses, and speakers. That I can offer the customer if they like when I test the unit and see a failing or part in need of replacement.

almost like a total refurb place all at once :P
But I don't replace anything with out the customers permission of course.

Only problem is there's no way to get brandy new parts for the systems :( so the parts do come from used machines and scratches are not uncommon.

But may be good in a situation to replace a cracked plastic part.

I'll continue to build upon my site and services for the good of the Virtual Boys ^-^

(Also the iPhone/iPod Touch App is in the works, I'm no programmer soo can't promise a time of release or if it will happen but I'll do my best)

~John

Posted on: 2009/10/7 5:23
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
John,

The Roebic stuff came from Home Depot... I haven't tried to buy any recently, but I assume they still have it. If you got some 100% lye from Ace, it's likely the same stuff. But yes... it needs to be super concentrated and hot or it won't work. By that, I mean, fill the bottom of a dish with the pellets, then drop a few drops of water on them, then heat them (I use my hot air tool to heat them, so a heat gun should work).

From the amount in this pic: http://www.projectvb.com/tech/displayfix/crystals.jpg , just add a couple drops of water from an eye dropper. It usually solidifies when it cools.

One other thing I've been thinking of is maybe peeling up the back of the display cable with a razor, then soldering. This way the solder flows under the cable and hopefully sticks to the exposed copper on both sides. Oddly enough, I don't have any VBs laying around opened on my desk to try it on... but that may work.

I didn't like just soldering directly to the cable without removing the coating because it didn't flow under the cable, and really only stuck to the copper tips of the cable, which isn't much copper. By removing the coating, you're exposing copper for the solder to stick to, and bridge to the exposed copper on the PCB.

DogP

Posted on: 2009/10/14 7:17
VB Gamer
Joined 2009/10/14
USA
26 Posts
Long Time User (9 Years)
You've fixed mine and it works great. Thanks. I have also recommended you to everyone I know. also, my first post here.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post