You are not logged in.
Lost Password?


Register To Post



 Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

#51
Re: Should the unreleased roms be released
Posted on: 2008/12/5 22:23
Virtual Freak
Joined 2007/1/15
Germany
73 Posts
Long Time User (13 Years) Donator
Quote:

Murfo schrieb:
Quote:

10YLL wrote:
This Post will probably be deleted/edited so read while you can.

So yeah, ofcourse you shouldn't download these roms. Besides being illegal, the source is very VERY old and have been protected for many years. Agreements were made, deals were done etc. Oh and not to mention they are not yours.

Lets take a step back and look at some very important points.
There is a world of unreleased "items" for the Virtual Boy. They exist and you will now almost certainly not come to know their name let alone ever play them. Ever.

The VB inner circle is very tight, the people who are in it already know who leaked these and why. Now anything that is held even by 1 person will be held even tighter.

Haha, the VB has been dead for 13 years and in all those time, the people with their 'world of unreleased items' never released them anyway. Nobody dumped those for 13 years and they still never gave info about these games. So it's not like anything changed after they got dumped.

The VB 'scene' is really sad if it's like what you say. A tight inner circle with people not willing to share anything. It could've been a bigger, active and open community, with everybody sharing their experiences and making sure others would also be able to enjoy their console in every possible way. But instead of enjoying the console the way it was meant to be, it's all a big quest for the rarest items. It's like those World of Warcraft geeks. Ohhh look I'm level xx and got this ultrarare item! While everybody in the real world really doesn't care.

Well, those unreleased games are probably not that good anyway(like almost all VB games), so I couldn't care less. I hope those people in the inner circle enjoy their crappy $600 unreleased/unfinished VB games that nobody knows of and nobody really cares about.


Full ACK
Top

#52
Re: Should the unreleased roms be released
Posted on: 2008/12/9 23:28
VB Gamer
Joined 2008/9/19
25 Posts
Long Time User (11 Years)
edit ---
nvm, should have read the thread more closely
Edited by realyst on 2008/12/9 23:49
Edited by realyst on 2008/12/9 23:50
Top

#53
Re: Should the unreleased roms be released
Posted on: 2009/1/12 3:50
VB Gamer
Joined 2009/1/12
24 Posts
Long Time User (11 Years)
I don't mind the titles that aren't that great staying hidden forever. Collectors should hang on to these.

But, for titles like Bound High! and Dragon Hopper, people should play these games. And when there's a game people should play, hopefully it will get dumped.

A Rom of Bound High! is in existence. He's telling the truth

I'm not sure what else there is, but all that matters is if they are fun and worthwhile.

Nintendo disgraced Gunpei by rushing the Virtual Boy with not even a system selling software and The hardware was compromised. I think by releasing the "fun" games we'd be honoring him, by showing just how great the VB could be.

By not sharing your denying the others the pleasure of experiencing the system to its full potential.

Stuff that's really not that amazing doesn't need to be dumped especially if it upsets people. Why not release the creme de la creme and honor Gunpei.

Stuff I'd like to see
VB Mario Land Beta
Zero Racer
Bound High!
and
Dragon Hopper (which would be the ultimate release) imo
Top

#54
Re: Should the unreleased roms be released
Posted on: 2009/1/15 22:08
VB Gamer
Joined 2008/9/5
Canada
35 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (11 Years)
I love racers, so if Zero Racer even exists it would be great to see.

Oh well, if folks don't want to share I can always go play games on another system, and ignore my Vboy...
Top

#55
Re: Should the unreleased roms be released
Posted on: 2009/1/19 1:40
VB Gamer
Joined 2009/1/19
Spain
45 Posts
Long Time User (11 Years)
Quote:

Murfo wrote:
Quote:

10YLL wrote:
This Post will probably be deleted/edited so read while you can.

So yeah, ofcourse you shouldn't download these roms. Besides being illegal, the source is very VERY old and have been protected for many years. Agreements were made, deals were done etc. Oh and not to mention they are not yours.

Lets take a step back and look at some very important points.
There is a world of unreleased "items" for the Virtual Boy. They exist and you will now almost certainly not come to know their name let alone ever play them. Ever.

The VB inner circle is very tight, the people who are in it already know who leaked these and why. Now anything that is held even by 1 person will be held even tighter.

Haha, the VB has been dead for 13 years and in all those time, the people with their 'world of unreleased items' never released them anyway. Nobody dumped those for 13 years and they still never gave info about these games. So it's not like anything changed after they got dumped.

The VB 'scene' is really sad if it's like what you say. A tight inner circle with people not willing to share anything. It could've been a bigger, active and open community, with everybody sharing their experiences and making sure others would also be able to enjoy their console in every possible way. But instead of enjoying the console the way it was meant to be, it's all a big quest for the rarest items. It's like those World of Warcraft geeks. Ohhh look I'm level xx and got this ultrarare item! While everybody in the real world really doesn't care.

Well, those unreleased games are probably not that good anyway(like almost all VB games), so I couldn't care less. I hope those people in the inner circle enjoy their crappy $600 unreleased/unfinished VB games that nobody knows of and nobody really cares about.


Totally agree... Some people are totally ill.. I mean, ¿who can really think "I've got a game who almost nobody can play, and I wan't to keep my privilege, I'm special". It's even worse than many stupid wow players I've found!!
Everybody can play actually games like Symphony of the Night on PSX, Chrono Tiger on Snes, etc and the original are still very valuable.
All roms on virtual boy should be released, not everybody can get all the games, but everybody should be able to play them. Games are made to make people have fun, not to become secret,hiddens and codicious things....
Now I'm studying programation, so in a few years I would like to programm some good game for the virtual boy. I can even say, that by now is a very serious and clear objetive in my life. When the day arrives (i hope xd) everybody will be able to play it, I won't keep it in a desert island or especulate with them.
I have to read many stupid and totally ignorant comments, histories, etc about virtual boy, and even watching stupid videos reviews on internet about VB (there are some good although), but sometimes when I see the selfish attitude of many people I don't know if we really like and aprecciate the virtual boy... or well... just don't know what to think...

Pd: First message, just registered, nice to meet all you. I've got the flashboy, nice job, still buy original games, not rich, so use it for those i still can buy. So simple....
Top

#56
Re: Should the unreleased roms be released
Posted on: 2009/1/23 10:52
VB Gamer
Joined 2007/7/30
Germany
23 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (12 Years)
OK! Everybody thinks that the prices drop when the dumps are released. The dumps are out so please tell me where to buy a cheap "Space Invaders"!

No answer?


I am a C64 collector. I had a perfect copy of the game "A Bee C's" but I bought the real one as soon as I got get my hands on.
I am a collector! I want the real stuff! I don't care if there are remakes or fakes or what so ever as long as I have the real item.
With the release of these dumps, the number of produced carts has not changed. The carts are still as rar as before.

Quote:
The VB inner circle is very tight, the people who are in it already know who leaked these and why. Now anything that is held even by 1 person will be held even tighter.

Whats your problem? You are part of this "inner circle" and you are not going to get rar dumps any more?
Tight or tighter ... the normal gamer never got the dumps. What's the difference for us?
Top

#57
Re: Should the unreleased roms be released
Posted on: 2009/1/24 6:27
VB Gamer
Joined 2008/9/19
25 Posts
Long Time User (11 Years)
Agreed. If they held on to it tightly for some bloody stupid reason or selfish motivation, then them holding on to it tighter will impact the rest of us zero.

If they just don't know about dumping or have the means to, that's fine.

If they know about it and refuse to do it based on some misguided thought that their riches will be diminished, they're selfish arseholes(or idiots) and deserve no sympathy.

If you're one of these people or encourage this behavior, neither do you.

Nor will I grant you any respect in any public forum so long as your argument revolves around "inner circles" akin to some secret society that aims to keep information away from people or archives, robbing the public. We should we care about these why?

The dumper of the roms should be applauded. He did a public service. those who aim to quash that ought to be ashamed.

And, as stated, collectors want the cart, the plastic, the item.

Does the ability to add sepia effects in After Effects change the value of your 8mm Bell and Howell video kit? No. So any justification for this 'holding tighter' is both silly and moot.
Top

#58
Re: Should the unreleased roms be released
Posted on: 2009/1/24 17:15
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Ugh... this thread just won't die.

Quote:

Cyberdyne wrote:
OK! Everybody thinks that the prices drop when the dumps are released. The dumps are out so please tell me where to buy a cheap "Space Invaders"!

No answer?

With the release of these dumps, the number of produced carts has not changed. The carts are still as rar as before.


You've answered your own question. I haven't seen a Space Invaders cart for sale... cheap or expensive for a while. It's because they are rare. That doesn't mean the market value hasn't changed any.

Quote:

realyst wrote:
The dumper of the roms should be applauded. He did a public service. those who aim to quash that ought to be ashamed.


The dumper(s), or the loser who claimed to dump them, then released other people's dumps? I agree... the people who originally dumped them should be applauded, because they preserved games that otherwise wouldn't have been preserved.

Unfortunately, the owners of the carts required the dumps to stay private to allow them to be dumped... so... were these people supposed to betray the owners and release them? Or say "nevermind... I just won't dump them".

Apparently, someone who's not trustworthy got ahold of the dumps and allowed them to be released. This is why those who have things that aren't public will hold on to them tighter. If the original owners of the 4 rare carts knew that their dumps would get released, they wouldn't have let them get dumped, and they would have never gotten released.

That would have been great if the guy who claimed to dump these actually did, and released his own dumps. Then no trust would have been lost, the original owners wouldn't be mad that the dump of their cart was released, and there'd be another set of dumps to verify they're good dumps.

If someone wanted the dumps bad enough, they should have bought the carts themselves and dumped them. But notice how nobody ever did that, and instead just whined that they can't have the ROMs for free.

DogP
Top

#59
Re: Should the unreleased roms be released
Posted on: 2009/1/24 19:27
VB Gamer
Joined 2008/9/19
25 Posts
Long Time User (11 Years)
Quote:


Unfortunately, the owners of the carts required the dumps to stay private to allow them to be dumped... so... were these people supposed to betray the owners and release them? Or say "nevermind... I just won't dump them".



So what good is it? The owners wanted the carts dumped for them so they wouldn't release them?

How is that any better then NOT releasing them? If they were holding them that tightly to begin with, again I say they deserve no sympathy.

Your falling into some circular logic trap. A cart held on tightly and a ROM held on tightly are the same thing, only the container changes. Were these roms put in any public archive? Was there any level of redundancy that would have been better then widespread release?

Then the information was put at risk for no better reason then personal and illogical greed(because logical greed would at least mean there would be a financial benefit).

Quite frankly, the people causing the most harm are those, such as yourself, that are justifying this action in any way, feeding those with this strange mental affliction that makes them believe what they're doing is anything but stupid and petty.

The ROMs are out, and we're all that much better for it.
Top

#60
Re: Should the unreleased roms be released
Posted on: 2009/1/24 23:07
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

So what good is it? The owners wanted the carts dumped for them so they wouldn't release them?

How is that any better then NOT releasing them? If they were holding them that tightly to begin with, again I say they deserve no sympathy.


IMO it's better to have a backup dump than no dump at all... whether or not they get released publicly. If you don't have a backup dump, it doesn't get released either. Plus, typically it's not the owners looking for a dumper, it's a dumper that has to talk the owner into letting them make a backup.

Quote:

Your falling into some circular logic trap. A cart held on tightly and a ROM held on tightly are the same thing, only the container changes. Were these roms put in any public archive? Was there any level of redundancy that would have been better then widespread release?


There were several people with copies of the ROM... so yeah, there was redundancy, as well as some technical people got the chance to learn more about the system. Your cart/ROM held tightly thing makes no sense. The collectors weren't holding their carts tightly, because that's a single object... you can let someone borrow the cart, but when you get it back, it's still the same thing. If you send someone a ROM, it becomes two ROMs... and can turn into a million or more ROMs.

Quote:

Then the information was put at risk for no better reason then personal and illogical greed(because logical greed would at least mean there would be a financial benefit).


This is my point... the collectors who let their carts get dumped didn't really want to have them dumped, but allowed them to be dumped with the confidence that they wouldn't get released (to them, basically someone was just borrowing the carts). I can't really say it's greed, since they were kind enough to even let them be dumped... they could have said no, and it wouldn't have been put at risk at all. They didn't receive any sort of compensation or get any benefit out of it. The way you're talking, it sounds like people who buy expensive carts have some sort of obligation to dump and release the ROMs.

Quote:

Quite frankly, the people causing the most harm are those, such as yourself, that are justifying this action in any way, feeding those with this strange mental affliction that makes them believe what they're doing is anything but stupid and petty.


I'm SO sorry for causing TERRIBLE harm to the collecting community for voicing and backing up my opinion, just because it doesn't support the greed of people like you who seem to think they somehow deserve to get dumps of games for free. My whole point is that it's up to the owners of the carts to decide whether or not to keep dumps to themselves or release them. The dumpers are just doing a service... the only obligation they have is to the owner, not the ROM leech community.

Quote:

The ROMs are out, and we're all that much better for it.


As I've said many times... that's great that the ROMs of these games got released... it's the way it was done that I have a problem with. And because of that, I can't say we're all better for it.

DogP
Top

 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic


Register To Post