Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

VBTV Update (Virtual Boy to TV adapter)
Posted on: 2008/4/1 9:01
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Hey,

I've had a little bit of spare time lately, so I decided to start working on my VB->TV adapter again. It's not 100% perfect, but I've gotten quite a bit of it working now, and it's playable. Here's a video of it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oco0rv93qd4 . Sorry for the crappy video, nobody was around hold the camera, so I was doing everything (including playing) one handed.

Anyway, for a quick overview of what it does... the signals come from the display, go through an adapter board (to drop the voltage for the FPGA), then go into the FPGA eval board. The FPGA takes the data and stores it in internal RAM to build it's own frame buffer, and also measures the brightness signals. Then the TV driver reads the RAM and outputs the TV signal, outputting brightness depending on which shade of red is supposed to be displayed, and also the brightness registers.

There's a few tweaks that I still need to do. The section that samples the brightness needs to be adjusted since the brightness flickers a little bit if it's near a decision boundary in my code... it shouldn't be tough to fix, I just gotta do it :P. The TV output code isn't perfect, there's a little bit of wrapping of the image (mostly hidden off the screen), so I just gotta get the timing nailed down better.

The bigger things I've still gotta add are color and also the ability to do 3D (I'm currently only capturing a single screen). I've already added color but have it disabled because it either doesn't lock well, or I'm seeing the effect of the low color bandwidth. I don't see a need for messing with 3D until I get color added (or shutter glasses). I think I also need to add interlacing... currently I think it's only drawing the odd field. I'd also like to add VGA, since that's really a much easier signal to deal with compared to NTSC, and much more can be done with it.

I guess I should also look into designing a small board that all the hardware could mount on and fit inside the VB. That's still pretty far off, but it'd be nice to know how much stuff would be needed and how much space it'd all take up.

Anyway, I guess I've rambled enough... just wanted to drop by and keep everyone updated on the current progress.

DogP

Re: VBTV Update (Virtual Boy to TV adapter)
Posted on: 2008/4/1 11:28
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2516 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
oh, happy heart attack day!

Posted on: 2008/4/1 15:44
Joined 2008/3/15
Russia
6 Posts
Long Time User (11 Years)
OH!
Hope it's not april 1'st joke!! ^^
Great work!

Posted on: 2008/4/1 18:50
Nintendoid!
Joined 2006/11/16
140 Posts
Long Time User (13 Years)
Didn't you post that exact joke last April Fools' Day?

cYa,

Tauwasser

Posted on: 2008/4/1 19:22
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Heheheheh... except it's not an April Fools joke this year :-).

DogP

Posted on: 2008/4/1 21:23
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2516 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
when you say that again tomorrow, i'll scream "woot!". i mean it's still the 1st of april and i don't trust anybody today. ;)

Posted on: 2008/4/1 22:06
Virtual Freak
Joined 2007/12/5
USA
80 Posts
Long Time User (11 Years)
I'm gonna agree with KR155E. DogP's comment is looking pretty suspicious ;P LOL
Edited by blcklblskt on 2008/4/3 21:49

Posted on: 2008/4/2 7:42
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
Heheheh, April Fools on all you guys thinking it's an April Fools joke :-). That's actually a recent video of the display working... no camera tricks or any other kinds of tricks. I finally got around to working on it some more, and actually made some good progress... so I figured it was an appropriate time to show it off, since it was an April Fools joke a year ago.

DogP

Posted on: 2008/4/2 10:52
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2516 Posts
WOOT! :D

Posted on: 2008/4/3 7:58
VB Gamer
Joined 2006/6/17
Greece
45 Posts
Long Time User (13 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
Double WOOT !! ;-)

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post