Lost Password?

Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Virtual boy Permanent Solder Screen Professional Repair Service
Posted on: 2019/12/6 14:10
Joined 2019/2/27
3 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
My Virtual boy is acting up. I do not see any 3D depth. I noticed if I close one eye I do not see an image. If I close the other eye I see an image.I am unable to open it because the hole with the screw is to long for a screwdriver. I am not explaning the problem well probably. I would happily send it in for repair to someone. Nintendo is no longer excepting them for repair. Can I get the info on how to send this in for repair here.

Posted on: 2019/12/7 11:35
VB Gamer
Joined 2019/10/13
44 Posts
Hi! Your problem is a very common issue with Virtual Boy systems. Nintendo decided to go cheaper with the the ribbon cables that connect the LED's to the main board, and attached them together with glue instead of being soldered, so over a long period of time, those wires eventually lift off the board and the connection becomes loose, which results in a glitchy image/no image at all. 99% of the time this is the issue, and there's two methods to fixing it:

Method one is the oven trick. For both methods you're going to need a long 4.5mm GameBit screwdriver, which are easy to find online. Here's a link to the cheapest one I could find (about $3.50)

https://www.ebay.com/i/333358482683?ch ... vnI9cpvm1TpxoCwVQQAvD_BwE

The oven method involves taking out the eyepiece(s) that aren't working, and putting them in the oven (I know it sounds crazy, but it's a good temporary fix) putting them in around 200-250 degrees Fahrenheit for around 90-120 seconds will melt the glue enough that you can take the eyes out and press onto the glue to re-seal that connection, and get your virtual boy's lens working again. Note though that this method is temporary, and eventually over time the glue will lift again, and the eyes will need to have this method performed again to work, and this method may also take a few tries to work. Here's a video showing it in action and showing the disassembly of the virtual boy itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFQAsEqwh3M

Method two involves soldering the connection to replace the loose glue connection. All virtual boys will have the connection become loose at some point, and replacing it with solder ensures the eyes to last a very long time, and is the most recommended method by far. I bought a broken virtual boy with no picture, and after soldering both eyes, the connection is not only perfect, but has lasted me a long time. This method does require intermediate soldering skills however, as you need to re-flow solder across pins on a ribbon cable, but this was the first time I ever soldered and I got it to work first try. If you're confident in yourself and want to try this method for yourself, you can follow this video that I did, he does a really good job of explaining everything you need to know about soldering those cables for beginners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CaOaHgAv9I

But if you don't want to risk ruining your cables, you can always get them solder-fixed by NES Freak. I have heard nothing but good things about him, and although I haven't had anything soldered by him, he has answered questions in the past, and been a great help to me, and I highly recommend his services. He has info about sending your virtual boy in and other details on the first page of this thread, and he answers all of your questions if you send him a PM about it. If he doesn't respond to a PM, you can reach him by phone from his business "Nerdy Dave's Computers" at (530) 903-3434)

Hopefully I answered your questions, and if not, there is another thread explaining this exact topic here.

https://www.planetvb.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3295

Hope this helps, and you're able to fix your system to experience the awesome console that is the virtual boy! Have a great one!

Posted on: 2019/12/9 12:59
Joined 2019/2/27
3 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Thank you so much Ethan.Snyder98. I was not expecting a reply. My luck on internet forums of getting replies from someone is not great. So I appreciate your quick response, I really do. Thanks for taking the time to write out that long descriptive explanation of my otion of how to get my Virtual Boy fixed. I am looking at the links provided and will decide what I want to do next. I really wanted to play Wario Land again and was bummed when I found out it was busted. So this post is a great relieve and joy for me.

Posted on: 1/7 12:34
Joined 2019/11/14
1 Posts
Just got my Virtual Boy back from Nes Freak and it works like a charm! Awesome repairs and fast turnaround as well!
Thank you so much for bringing my baby back to life!

Posted on: 1/8 23:49
Joined 1/8
1 Posts
PM sent!

Posted on: 1/10 8:04
Nintendoid!
Joined 2017/10/29
USA
127 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
got it :P

Posted on: 1/10 8:06
Nintendoid!
Joined 2017/10/29
USA
127 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Quote:

BJoin1979 wrote:
My Virtual boy is acting up. I do not see any 3D depth. I noticed if I close one eye I do not see an image. If I close the other eye I see an image.I am unable to open it because the hole with the screw is to long for a screwdriver. I am not explaning the problem well probably. I would happily send it in for repair to someone. Nintendo is no longer excepting them for repair. Can I get the info on how to send this in for repair here.

i sorry i missed your question. christmas was very busy month for me so i some how missed it. this i why pming me is important cause i will see that :P

Posted on: 2/2 22:59
Joined 2019/2/27
3 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
PM Sent

Posted on: 2/3 4:07
Joined 2/3
1 Posts
PM Sent. :)

Posted on: 2/4 1:53
Joined 2008/12/29
7 Posts
Long Time User (11 Years)
I'd like to add to this thread. I purchased repair service of Nes Freak, and from sending my screens/ribbons in the mail to getting them back in my hands was a week. The work done is really good. I am happy at the quality and price. I just wanted to leave this here as a testimonial. Would recommend

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post