New here
Posted on: 7/22 21:30
VB Gamer
Joined 7/21
Sweden
14 Posts
Hello!

I'm new here and just wanted to say hi.

I've been intrigued by the Virtual Boy ever since I tried it out 23 years ago at a Toys R Us somewhere in California. I remember being gravely disappointed back then. It wasn't at all what I had expected. In my eleven year old brain I had envisioned an experience like the Occulus Quest of today. The hype had been immense (haha). A vague memory of me trying out Mario Clash is still etched in my brain and a price of around 200$ for the system. I could be mistaken here.

Anyway. Now the time has come to finally dive into VB collecting and my goal is primarily to collect the complete JPN library--and of course to get hold of a system too :)

I'm excited to join what seems like an awesome community and hope to contribute in any way I can.
(I might update this thread with Games and other Virtual Boy related stuff as I receive them).

I've been reading up on the system and checking the forum a bit but if you have any advice at all, in regards to collecting VB, please feel free to share it.

Re: New here
Posted on: 7/22 22:53
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
900 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Hi. Welcome. If you have a working VB, my first bit of advice would be to pick up a FlashBoy+. With it you can enjoy translations, hacks, homebrew, and of course the entire VB ROM library. It's a great way to test things out before deciding which actual carts you must own!

I recommend that you give this article a read. It's pretty much the 101 for VB history! =)

https://www.fastcompany.com/3050016/un ... irtual-boy-20-years-later

You found a great community. Cheers and have fun!

Posted on: 7/23 7:54
VB Gamer
Joined 7/21
Sweden
14 Posts
Thanks!

I will actually wait for the Multiboy 32.
Thank you for the article link, will definitely read that.

Posted on: 7/24 0:41
PVB Elite
Joined 2014/6/4
USA
570 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)20+ Game Ratings
Welcome! You chose an awesome community to join! I'd love to hear your progress in collecting

Posted on: 7/24 2:39
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1145 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
Welcome, Falkor!

The Virtual Boy is a fun system to collect for. Once you realize it came out before the Gameboy Pocket you can start to see that it was actually a pretty good system for the time. Compared to the GB, it has a powerful chipset, better sound, and much crisper screens with no ghosting.

I'm sure you'll have fun with it.

Posted on: 7/24 4:18
Virtual Freak
Joined 1/27
USA
90 Posts
It's fun, but dangerous to the wallet if you're really serious about the JP library unless you're loaded and just don't care. Perhaps a bit less ambitious would be to start polishing off the US library. I got started at the very end of January this year and as of now I've got a few aftermarket pieces, but better yet I'm one short of the US library and just been waffling on buying the game (and no, it's not Jack, I have it.)

It's fun, and not too bad going after the US library depending the depth of the rabbit hole you're chasing. But Japan, I hope you have thousands lying around as those last 4 games to come out for it get insane.

Posted on: 7/24 20:42
VB Gamer
Joined 7/21
Sweden
14 Posts
@Lester Knight: Read the article and I enjoyed it a lot. Thanks again for the link.

@retronintendonerd: Thank you! Cool, I´ll update in this thread then. I actually have a Virtual Boy console on the way with some games too.

@speedyink: Thanks :) Yeah, me too!

@VmprHntrD: Haha, no i´m not loaded. It´s not my intention to get all the games right away or anything. The complete JPN library of games is a long term goal.

What I meant was, that at least for now, I´m not really looking to get any of the homebrews in physical form (or any paraphernalia) as they seem to go for quite a lot of money. I also meant that I'll go after the Japanese versions of the games, and not the american.

Posted on: 7/30 19:35
VB Gamer
Joined 7/21
Sweden
14 Posts
So...the first four games arrived: Golf, Panic Bomber, Vertical Force, and Virtual League Baseboll 95. Vertical Force and Panic Bomber seems to be new (supposed to be never played). The two others are in ok shape. No worries, as I have other copies on the way (as part of a bundle I won). It's a weird feeling gently opening a new old game box. I mean, these boxes and games are about 25 years old but still in mint condition!

Golf, PB and VF i got from the same seller through Tradera (Swedish Ebay). My goal was actually to get four Virtual Boy games he was selling but I missed out on Mario´s Tennis as I wasn't paying attention (haha). In hindsight that is totally fine as the box was not in great shape anyway.
-----
It was late in the evening on the 21st of July, when I sat down by my computer. I had been eagerly awaiting the auctions to end--or to almost end, I should say. You see, I was planning on using my, in no way original, well used tactic of "sniping" to aquire the four games I had my mind set on (MUHA HA HA!).

As the count down drew closer to around 60 seconds, my heart was beating faster and faster. Were these forgotten old games meant to be the start of my Virtual Boy collection or would the dream continue to be just that--a dream? Time would tell, and it would tell it very soon.

60s: Time to get ready. I hit refresh.
30s: My palms were sweaty.
24s: One last refresh. Knees weak.
15s: My arms were heavy.
10s: ...
9s: ...
8s: ...MOM´S SPAGHETTI...I HIT "Lägg bud"!(bid).
0s: Auction won!
-----
And that...is the story of how Vertical Force was won, at 23:05 local time. It felt great! Now it was only a matter of repeating the procedure with the other games, which in the end, resulted in three won games and the start of a Virtual Boy collection.

VLB 95 was ordered from Retrogames (UK) as I also wanted their Retrogames Magazine issue #22 which features an article on the VB, which I have yet to read.

I got the Nintendo Power issue 75 from Ebay a while ago. The cards are still attached to the magazine, but it's missing the glasses and the poster.

Attach file:

jpg  games.jpg (153.57 KB)
15180_5d4075d6aac5b.jpg 1200X348 px

jpg  magazines.jpg (290.40 KB)
15180_5d4075dcd21a4.jpg 1200X821 px

Posted on: 7/30 21:56
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2003/9/3
Sweden
442 Posts
PVBCC EntryHighscore Top10 3rdCoderContributorHOTY09 2ndLong Time User (15 Years) DonatorApp CoderPVBCC 2010 1st20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 2nd
Grattis! Särskilt Panic Bomber och Vertical Force av dem där är kul spel! ;)

Posted on: 8/1 10:39
VB Gamer
Joined 7/21
Sweden
14 Posts
Quote:

DanB wrote:
Grattis! Särskilt Panic Bomber och Vertical Force av dem där är kul spel! ;)

Tack ska du ha! Jag väntar bara på att konsolen ska dyka upp nu :)
[eng] Thank you! I´m just waiting for the console to arrive now :) [/eng]

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post