Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Red Square, a Yume Nikki Fan Game
Posted on: 6/29 6:16
VB Gamer
Joined 6/29
11 Posts
Hello!

Over the last 6 weeks I've been writing a Virtual Boy game for the 2019 Dream Diary Game Jam, along with my friend, Nyrator. The result is Red Square, a short Yume Nikki Fan Game.

http://slum.online/vb/

The game is written entirely in assembly. Nyrator handled graphics while I handled the programming. The game doesn't feature any sound, since I didn't have enough time to write an assembly sound driver. The source code is also available for free on the website, licensed under the Zlib license. The source obviously contains spoilers, so don't look into it if you're planning on playing first. (Some of the code is atrocious due to time constraints, but over all I'm fairly proud of it)

The game is fairly simple. You walk around dream worlds collecting different effects. Once you've collected them all you're able to play the ending. There's no saving, so either use save states or complete it in one play through. (It's really not too long)

Anyway, I thought I'd share, since it was suggested to me by a VB friend I know.
Edited by Kresna on 2019/6/29 6:34

Re: Red Square, a Yume Nikki Fan Game
Posted on: 6/29 9:41
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/5/12
USA
136 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Oh wow, very interested to see this in action. What motivated you to make it for the Virtual Boy?

Posted on: 6/29 20:40
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1127 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
Very cool! Will be trying this on my VB for sure

Posted on: 6/29 22:39
VB Gamer
Joined 6/29
11 Posts
Quote:

Levine91 wrote:
What motivated you to make it for the Virtual Boy?

Initially it was a joke idea, but the more I thought about the VB the more I thought it would be a fun project. After talking to Nyrator about it over pizza we decided to go all in. It turned out that the hardware is really great to work with.

Aside from that, I enjoy writing assembly, and I'd never written any for a 32-bit RISC processor before this, so it presented a great opportunity to learn.

Quote:

speedyink wrote:
Very cool! Will be trying this on my VB for sure

That's flattering to hear! I hope you enjoy it! Let me know if you run into any problems on real hardware. I initialize the VB fairly rigorously so it should work. Mednafen caught a lot of my early mistakes. I don't actually own a VB (yet?) so I wasn't able to test it myself.

Posted on: 6/30 0:19
VB Gamer
Joined 2018/1/1
Sweden
32 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
I wasn't able to get it to run on my flashboy. Tried both with and without padder. But I'm probably doing something wrong. :P

Posted on: 6/30 1:16
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1127 Posts
Quote:

Kresna wrote:
That's flattering to hear! I hope you enjoy it! Let me know if you run into any problems on real hardware. I initialize the VB fairly rigorously so it should work. Mednafen caught a lot of my early mistakes. I don't actually own a VB (yet?) so I wasn't able to test it myself.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get it to run on real hardware using the Flashboy cartridge. None of the padding options work. I want to try flashing it to a flashable cart but I gotta get my printer cable for my cart flasher back first.

Still very cool that you decided to make a more or less VB compatible game, it's always fun to try out new stuff on this little oddity :)

Posted on: 6/30 1:35
VB Gamer
Joined 6/29
11 Posts
Hmm, odd. I'll have to look into what exactly might be causing the issue. It may take some time to debug, especially since I can't test it, but I'll see what I can do.

Posted on: 6/30 2:51
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1127 Posts
No worries at all.

Shoot me a PM if you want help with testing on hardware.

Posted on: 6/30 5:49
VB Gamer
Joined 6/29
11 Posts
I went to the discord group and user jorgeche tested the rom on his flashboy, and it worked. There was a couple of issues, however. The first was an input bug related to a hardware edge-case (This has been fixed and the ROM updated on the website). The second is that the game's frame rate suffers on a real VB. We discussed some likely causes and I'll eventually look into the problem, but it won't be until some time after the 7th of July.

This means that, though it does run on hardware, for the time being it's probably best experienced through an emulator. When I get time to sus out the hardware speed issues I'll post an update.

Posted on: 6/30 7:50
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1127 Posts
Well that's embarrassing, I was using the padder wrong.

Reference for anyone else:
hold control while dragging the file onto the padder and choose padding option 3. (and default size option)

Yup, definitely works on real hardware. I see what you mean about the frame rate, hope it turns out to be what you guys figure.

Otherwise, this game looks great on hardware. Is this your first 3D game? You've done a great job making lots of use of it!
Definitely can't wait to try this again once it gets sped up :)

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post