Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Bubble Bobble on Virtual Boy
Posted on: 4/15 15:43
Joined 2018/8/4
USA
9 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
I recently had the insane idea of having a 3D version of Bubble Bobble done up, with the same idea as Mario Clash of moving from the foreground to the background. Only problem is: I have absolutely no idea how to make games at all. What would I need to learn to be able to create this, and what programs would I need to be able to complete this? This might have already been answered, but I'm just wondering.

Re: Bubble Bobble on Virtual Boy
Posted on: 4/15 18:50
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2011/7/3
USA
435 Posts
CoderContributorLong Time User (8 Years) App Coder40+ Game Ratings
As far as graphics go if you want them to be 3-D your best bet is going with ProMotion NG It is the only program designed to do 3-D pixel art right out of the box and it's cheap if you want a licensed copy with a ton more features. if your serious and you want to learn it PM me and we'll talk. Good luck with your project!

Posted on: 4/16 4:39
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1465 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
The short answers to your questions are:
1. Learn the C programming language.
2. Download the VBDE from this site.
Of course, there's a lot more VB- or VUEngine-specific stuff to learn, but that will get you started.
When you decide to start, keep us updated, and ask lots of questions!
Edited by RunnerPack on 2019/4/16 6:54
Edited by RunnerPack on 2019/4/16 6:57

Posted on: 4/20 11:14
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1465 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
MJAYINDY wrote me a PM, but I think it would be better to make a public reply. His question basically boiled down to: “What does a Mac user w/ some Python skills need to get started on a VB game?”

My reply:

There are a few VB developers who use a Mac, so it's not insurmountable, but you're right about it being more difficult.

If you don't want to set up a Mac-native development environment, you'll need to be able to run Windows. You might think about getting a cheap, used, Windows PC just for this kind of thing (the specs required are very low; a friend or family member might even have a suitable one lying around they'd just give you; ask around). Other alternatives include: dual-booting into Windows (Bootcamp? Sorry, not a Mac user 🤷🏻‍♂️) and emulation (VMWare, Bochs, etc).

Beyond that, the actual skills and knowledge you need to acquire would include:
• Programming in C (not [i]too[i] difficult to transfer from Python, but you'll need to learn about curly braces and semicolons)
• Knowledge of the VB's various hardware systems (and limitations) from a software perspective
• Maybe some basic game and art design skills 🤷🏻‍♂️

The basics are covered pretty well by the examples included in the VBDE, and basic system knowledge can be found in the Wiki, or Guy Perfect's “Tech Scroll”.

Posted on: 4/20 19:50
Virtual Freak
Joined 2017/6/24
USA
69 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Guy Perfect has a modern (and more accurate) version of the Sacred Tech Scroll that's still really useful for providing basic info on how to develop for the Virtual Boy's hardware:
http://perfectkiosk.net/stsvb1.html

However, this doesn't provide any documentation on how to use the various homebrew dev tools that are out there; it's just providing hardware-related stuff (CPU / VIP / VSU / communication port / game pad / timer / wait controller).

Also, and for music-related stuff, M.K. is current making VB Music Tracker.

Posted on: 4/21 15:54
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2515 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
A VSCode-based successor to VBDE is currently in the works. It will be available for Windows, Linux and Mac. So if you can wait a few more weeks (or possibly months), we'll have you covered. :-)

Posted on: 4/21 22:31
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
160 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Quote:

KR155E wrote:
A VSCode-based successor to VBDE is currently in the works. It will be available for Windows, Linux and Mac. So if you can wait a few more weeks (or possibly months), we'll have you covered. :-)

What codebase will be used, or will there be bases for multiple languages? I'd love to be able to use my native C++ instead of dealing with the kludgefest that is straight C.

Posted on: 4/22 22:23
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2515 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
Quote:

RetroDan wrote:

What codebase will be used, or will there be bases for multiple languages? I'd love to be able to use my native C++ instead of dealing with the kludgefest that is straight C.

The VSCode extension is tailored for VUEngine, which uses C++ like syntax. But you can configure it to work with any other library instead, like libgccvb.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post