Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Love at first sight ?
Posted on: 2007/8/24 1:06
VB Gamer
Joined 2007/8/21
USA
10 Posts
Long Time User (12 Years)
Me and my brother rented one from Blockbuster back in '96 I believe. We got Teleroboxer, Red Alarm, and Galactic Pinball. Needless to say we feel in love despite all the negative press. Unfortunately I never touched one again...but thats all about to change. Today I won one on Ebay. It is coming with the AC Adapter and Tap, Mario's Tennis (U), and Teleroboxer (U). I also purchased a Mario's Tennis (J), Panic Bomber (J), and Virtual League Baseball (U).

Posted on: 2007/9/22 10:40
Joined 2007/8/8
3 Posts
I seriously didnt hear anything about a virtual boy in my time. there was this time when i was real bored so i typed in gameboy into google to see what would come up. i got this article from wikipedia then found out about gunpei yokoi. from there onwards ive found out more about his work including the virtual boy

Posted on: 2007/9/22 15:43
VB Gamer
Joined 2007/9/15
USA
15 Posts
I must have been the only one who actually anticipated the release of VB and bought it on launch day.

I remember constantly reading about it in Nintendo Power. I was a huge Nintendo fan, so I knew I had to buy it. With the Ultra 64 having been delayed a year, I used the money I had been saving for Ultra 64 to buy VB.

I remember going to Electronics Boutique on VB's launch day and being the only one there to buy one. I was expecting VB to be this amazing, immersive, virtual experience and was slightly disappointed when I brought it home and found the 3D effects to be not nearly as awesome as they had been in my imagination. But as I played through Mario's Tennis, I realized that despite the fact that the 3D effect weren't like virtual reality, they were still pretty cool.

My launch unit stopped working (it had that problem where one eye wasn't displaying properly) and have since had to buy 2 more Virtual Boy units. Hopefully this one won't break.

Posted on: 2007/10/19 8:14
VB Gamer
Joined 2007/10/19
Australia
12 Posts
It was love at first sight for me too. For years I heard bits and pieces about the Virtual Boy but being in Australia it didn't get much publicity.

As I only got the internet a few years ago I continued the searching for 'that elusive 3d console' I heard about as a kid.

Posted on: 2007/10/19 12:39
VB Gamer
Joined 2007/10/15
18 Posts
I wanted one when they first came out and I tried the store demo but they were expensive. Then in late 96 my local store had the entire stock on clearance sale. VB unit new for only 30 dollars. In the few months, I was able to get all 14 games new mostly from Toys R us when they marked the games as low as $3 each plus the AC tap and a 3rd party carry case. I figure I spent less than $100 on the set.

I still own the set. :)

Posted on: 2007/10/29 0:22
PVB Elite
Joined 2007/10/26
USA
757 Posts
ContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (11 Years) Donator
Well, it came out when I was in college. Money was tight, but most Friday's a few of my friends and I would go out to blockbuster and look for a movie. Well, they would look, and I would play the VB demo that they had set up. I always thought i'd rent one, but never got around to it. The next year...it was gone. I didn't think that much about it. It didn't cross my mind to buy one. It was college and I thought it would cost 200 dollars and who new how much for the games.

Well, my wife and I were online last week looking around and came across and article with some odd (hate to say it ugly) tech. And there was a picture of the VB. My wife said something like 'What the hell is that ?' and I said 'OH...wait..I know what that is...it's pretty cool'. After looking around I found a few web sites. I saw the price wasn't that bad so, I picked one up from E-bay. Just waiting for it now...it has the blockbuster box, Tennis, Red Alarm, and Teleroboxer. Now, I'm wishing I had the flash cart to try out some games before I buy some more.

-Eric

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post