Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Display ribbon cable alternatives
Posted on: 3/3 20:46
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
162 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
I've found a fab house, and...

YES. I can manage $10-ish per pair. Obviously, this does not include shipping, but within the US, that shouldn't be expensive at all.

Now, before I get ahead of myself, obviously, I still have to order prototypes, but if the prototypes work out well (which they SHOULD), then I'd like to place an order for at least 50 sets (100 cables).

Cross your fingers.

EDIT: Prototypes ordered!
Edited by RetroDan on 2019/3/3 21:36
Edited by RetroDan on 2019/3/3 22:29

Posted on: 3/4 23:13
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1465 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
I'd be interested in a few pairs!

Posted on: 3/4 23:41
Joined 3/4
1 Posts
Finally!

My left eye has had broken scanlines for years now. They don't seem to corrode symmetrically at all as the right eye is still pristine... but for how much longer?

LOL, Eagle has a learning curve alright. You could always try DesignSpark so you don't have to have Autodesk installed.

If you're selling, I'm buying :D

Posted on: 3/5 0:37
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
162 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Just got word that my prototypes are slated for production on March 12th. I'm also finishing up with some fine tuning on the design c/o the fab house I've picked.

Posted on: 3/7 16:14
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
162 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Everyone is being added to a prospective buyer's list. Once I've verified the prototype and tested them, I'll send out blanket PMs.

Also, for dedicated repair guys - if you buy 15 sets or more, you get a 15% discount (not including shipping).

I will use the cheapest SAFE method of shipping, which for most people will be Priority Flat Rate boxes at about $7.25 or so. International shipping will be per country with an eye to costs and protection.

Posted on: 3/8 7:10
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
162 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Quote:

nmalinoski wrote:
I considered asking if it makes sense to fit the LED boards with ZIF sockets, but that didn't really make any sense; if you have to get in there and do soldering anyway, just make a permanent connection; it's going to be just as difficult, if not moreso, to retrofit a socket.

You know, I looked into this, but dismissed it. The reason why is simple:

The LED board contact pitch is decidedly non-standard - no off-the-shelf ZIF connector that I can find uses such an oddball size. To take advantage of this, you would have to go through the entire manufacturing process for a unique ZIF connector, which is STUPIDLY expensive. Like, on the order of tens of thousands of dollars expensive.

Otherwise, that would actually be a brilliant idea.

Posted on: 3/8 8:44
Joined 3/8
1 Posts
I would love to buy a pair once everything gets going. Would love to finally play my VB!

Posted on: 3/8 11:27
Virtual Freak
Joined 2008/4/23
Great Britain
77 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (11 Years)
So glad to see this Dan. You can add me to the prospective buyer's list too (2 sets).

Posted on: 3/8 22:11
Nintendoid!
Joined 2017/10/29
USA
115 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
and just an FYI if you buy these and dont want to risk damaging your displays installing them just PM me. i can install them for you. ive fixed over 200 VB consoles.

btw id also like to pre order these so add me to the list. thank you :P

Posted on: 3/8 22:15
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/6/24
USA
48 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Please add me to the list (3 sets)

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post