You are not logged in.
Lost Password?


Register To Post



 Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

#21
Re: Display ribbon cable alternatives
Posted on: 2/25 4:59
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
162 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Current 3rd Iteration; now to find a decent fab house.

Current fab prices for OSH park are costing $25 per pair. Obviously, a real fab house will allow me to drop the price with quantity (and I'm shopping around), but I'd like to get an idea of how many people I could reasonably expect to get on board. The more I get, the lower the price can get per person. I would like to get it down to about $10-$15 per pair.

Attach file:



png  VirtualCable.png (51.84 KB)
14127_5c736e6b39638.png 1912X594 px
Edited by RetroDan on 2019/2/25 5:26
Top

#22
Re: Display ribbon cable alternatives
Posted on: 2/25 10:49
PVB Elite
Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
545 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years)
If they are $10 for a set, I will buy at least 10 sets. Are you on the PVB Discord server? Way more activity there, I am a 100% sure that if you post there, you could get enough interest for at least 30 sets or more.

Wouldn't surprise me if you get enough interest for a 100 sets though.
Top

#23
Re: Display ribbon cable alternatives
Posted on: 2/25 14:40
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2008/11/4
Netherlands
395 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (11 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
hello,
just what the force81 says iff you can drop the price to around 10 $ for a set
I also will take atleast 10 sets

greetings
Top

#24
Re: Display ribbon cable alternatives
Posted on: 2/25 16:48
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2008/11/4
Netherlands
395 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (11 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
i am sorry i whas tinking that this cables where almost ready for plug and play ( but after talking i hear that it need still soldering )
i need to cancel then ( i am not that good in soldering )

Quote:

mawa wrote:
hello,
just what the force81 says iff you can drop the price to around 10 $ for a set
I also will take atleast 10 sets

greetings
Top

#25
Re: Display ribbon cable alternatives
Posted on: 2/25 20:01
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
162 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Quote:

mawa wrote:
i am sorry i whas tinking that this cables where almost ready for plug and play ( but after talking i hear that it need still soldering )
i need to cancel then ( i am not that good in soldering )

Quote:

mawa wrote:
hello,
just what the force81 says iff you can drop the price to around 10 $ for a set
I also will take atleast 10 sets

greetings


...You do realize that there will never be a non soldered solution for this unless someone produces a new, compatible LED board, right? My aim is to make the tough part of VB restoration as easy and painless as feasible as possible.

Besides, my fourth iteration for this is in my head and will get underway when I get home in a few hours.
Top

#26
Re: Display ribbon cable alternatives
Posted on: 2/25 23:48
Virtual Freak
Joined 2017/12/29
60 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Quote:

...You do realize that there will never be a non soldered solution for this unless someone produces a new, compatible LED board, right? My aim is to make the tough part of VB restoration as easy and painless as feasible as possible.

Besides, my fourth iteration for this is in my head and will get underway when I get home in a few hours.

I considered asking if it makes sense to fit the LED boards with ZIF sockets, but that didn't really make any sense; if you have to get in there and do soldering anyway, just make a permanent connection; it's going to be just as difficult, if not moreso, to retrofit a socket.

And, as nice as it would be to have readily-available replacement cables, until, as you said, someone starts producing replacement LED boards, I think the only market for these will be people who screwed up their originals during a repair job.
Top

#27
Re: Display ribbon cable alternatives
Posted on: 2/26 0:07
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
162 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Quote:

nmalinoski wrote:
I considered asking if it makes sense to fit the LED boards with ZIF sockets, but that didn't really make any sense; if you have to get in there and do soldering anyway, just make a permanent connection; it's going to be just as difficult, if not moreso, to retrofit a socket.

And, as nice as it would be to have readily-available replacement cables, until, as you said, someone starts producing replacement LED boards, I think the only market for these will be people who screwed up their originals during a repair job.


Not necessarily. When I added an RGB out to my VB, I noticed that the original cables were starting to crack and decay, something that I also verified with my other VB consoles. The cables are the main point of failure in this console, and I like making PCB layouts, so I figured "Why not?".
Top

#28
Re: Display ribbon cable alternatives
Posted on: 2/27 2:47
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
162 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Alright, just finished my fourth (and ostensibly final) workup of the VirtualCable. I absolutely loathed EAGLE at first - now, I kinda love it.

Now to wait for the fab houses I contacted to get back to me for a prototype run.

Attach file:



png  VirtualCable.png (51.80 KB)
14127_5c75ebf66cd44.png 1845X599 px
Top

#29
Re: Display ribbon cable alternatives
Posted on: 2/27 4:01
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2016/12/15
USA
318 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Wow cool. RetroDan is back! Nice job on the flex cable.
Top

#30
Re: Display ribbon cable alternatives
Posted on: 2/28 17:55
Virtual Freak
Joined 1/27
USA
94 Posts
I can't do the work, but I know someone who does them as a cheap fix the current way ($10 an eye) right now. He has come across a few failed heating method fixes that wrecked the ribbons and left him with spare bits and pieces. This would be very welcome. I think in general they probably would be a wise investment as the old ribbons aren't exactly real high gauge thick stuff like old IDE PC ribbon cables by any means.
Top

 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic


Register To Post