Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Introducing Pockulus Chip Virtual Boy
Posted on: 2018/8/31 11:09
Virtual Freak
Joined 2015/5/7
77 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
even if u sold the kit just for the eye piece, for 100$, even without the pie. i would buy it asap

Posted on: 2018/8/31 18:28
VB Gamer
Joined 2018/7/7
12 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
this is just awesome! can it emulate in Black and White as well as red and black.

Posted on: 2018/8/31 22:21
PVB Elite
Joined 2012/7/9
USA
834 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (7 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
@JoePassive - I will contact my project partner and see what he says about making kits.
@Gaming_Comics - Any single color shade that you wish to do is possible, I have tried black and white and itís quite nice for games like ďInsmouse No Yakata.Ē

Also in case anyone wondered, every game has 9 potential save slots, that are accessed by tapping one of the upper keyboard numbers.

The two downsides are sound emulation is a bit crackily, and the resolution isnít exactly VB spec. It looks more pixelated for sure. I am not bothered by either of the slight issues since I can now play VB games on the go easily.

Also the Gameboy to Virtual Boy emulation in 3D is very cool in black and white. Itís like the ultimate 3D Gameboy.
Edited by Dreammary on 2018/8/31 22:32

Posted on: 2018/9/2 1:36
PVB Elite
Joined 2012/7/9
USA
834 Posts
So, I just compared a real VB to the Pockulus Chip, and discovered that the image in Pockulus is much larger than what you see in a real Virtual Boy (about 1.5x). Also strangely enough the 3D depth in games like Jack Bros. actually looks more effective in Pockulus Chip.

If I could correct the sound issue and have a better resolution screen then this would actually surpass real hardware. Sadly, I donít believe the sound issues are fixable and finding a suitable 3.5Ē screen in a higher resolution would be much more expensive.

Benefits of Pockulus Chip:
*9 save slots for every game (including games not originally having a save function)
*1.5x image size thus a larger view
*ability to change the colors to anything (still only a shade of any color)
*light weight and actually able to be worn with true portability
*all games are stored on the system and swapping games is quick

Downfalls of the Pockulus Chip:
*poor sound quality (to the point when youíd rather play in silence or with the sound at no greater then 20%)
*lower resolution screen (though its only really noticeable in games like Baseball, SD Gundam, Vertical Force and Red Alarm)
Edited by Dreammary on 2018/9/2 2:19

Posted on: 2018/9/2 4:16
VB Gamer
Joined 2018/7/3
33 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Yeah I would be 100 percent down with ordering a kit. This is quite awesome. I'm sure the number of people here alone that would be interested would make it worthwhile. I'm sure the facebook group Virtual Boy Fans unite would get some more orders also since there are a bunch of people on there that aren't here. Heck I'd order two of them because I have a problem now. The problem has spread to Vectrex now too. At least I don't gamble or drink much.

Posted on: 2018/9/7 18:50
PVB Elite
Joined 2012/7/9
USA
834 Posts
Oh I also wanted to mention that you can do video out on this system which will display the two images side by side on the TV (some 3D TVs can take two side by side images and convert them into viewable 3D.)

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post