You are not logged in.
Lost Password?

Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Worms for Virtual Boy - Is it technically possible?
Posted on: 2018/4/16 23:42
Nintendoid!
Joined 2012/11/9
Venezuela
128 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreLong Time User (7 Years) 90+ Game Ratings
I've wondered if Worms could be posible to realize for the VB? I mean, it was planned and while Real Danger isn't too much of a looker, its mini-tiny sprites could be a good foundation to make a homebrew port and make Worms for the VB a reality :)

Re: Worms for Virtual Boy - Is it technically possible?
Posted on: 2018/4/17 2:10
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1465 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
While I would never say it was impossible, the RAM constraints on the VB are going to make this very challenging. If I were going to attempt it, I would probably give up "pixel-perfect" and make the terrain half-resolution. You could store 16 such half-res "pixels" in each char. You still wouldn't be able to store all 65,536 combinations, but you could narrow it down to the most likely ones, and make a filter to convert the rest. The V810's bitstring opcodes should help with the collision-detection part.

Posted on: 2018/4/19 7:07
Nintendoid!
Joined 2012/11/9
Venezuela
128 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreLong Time User (7 Years) 90+ Game Ratings
Quote:

RunnerPack wrote:
While I would never say it was impossible, the RAM constraints on the VB are going to make this very challenging. If I were going to attempt it, I would probably give up "pixel-perfect" and make the terrain half-resolution. You could store 16 such half-res "pixels" in each char. You still wouldn't be able to store all 65,536 combinations, but you could narrow it down to the most likely ones, and make a filter to convert the rest. The V810's bitstring opcodes should help with the collision-detection part.

Yeah, i never thought about it before...

Posted on: 2018/5/6 10:12
Virtual Freak
Joined 2014/1/16
France
68 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)
They made it on GameBoy. Maybe it could be worth trying the .GB rom on the gameboy emulator M.K. released, to see if it's working ?

Posted on: 2018/5/7 15:34
PVB Elite
Joined 2012/7/9
USA
833 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (7 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
I wasn’t even aware of the game Worms until I saw this thread. I watched a couple videos of different versions of the game, and now I’d be interested to see a version on VB for sure.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post