You are not logged in.
Lost Password?


Register To Post



 Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

#11
Re: Virtual Boy VidPro Card Collection
Posted on: 2017/5/31 19:31
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/5/28
France
19 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
These look totally awesome dude.
What are those exactly ? Was it used in stores to promote games ?
Top

#12
Re: Virtual Boy VidPro Card Collection
Posted on: 2017/5/31 19:54
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2293 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10Contributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Quote:

Kk-Man wrote:
These look totally awesome dude.
What are those exactly ? Was it used in stores to promote games ?


In stores that kept all of their games behind glass, these cards were put outside the glass, so that prospective customers could look and see what was on the back of the game boxes, without having to get an employee to open the glass doors for them to look at the back of an actual game box. Of course, the VidPro cards were sent to stores before the games were released and shipped, so the Dragon Hopper VidPro card got sent to a store, even though the actual game itself never got commercially released.
Top

#13
Re: Virtual Boy VidPro Card Collection
Posted on: 2017/6/1 4:21
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2293 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10Contributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
You know, if there is any correlation between a game being rated by the ESRB and the same game having had a VidPro card made for it, there could very well be VidPro cards out there for Zero Racers and Virtual League Baseball 2, traces of which have yet to be found.
Top

#14
Re: Virtual Boy VidPro Card Collection
Posted on: 2017/6/1 8:49
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2015/3/28
USA
381 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
Thanks for the comments, everyone! I appreciate all your posts!!

Quote:

Benjamin Stevens wrote:
Quote:

Kk-Man wrote:
These look totally awesome dude.
What are those exactly ? Was it used in stores to promote games ?


In stores that kept all of their games behind glass, these cards were put outside the glass, so that prospective customers could look and see what was on the back of the game boxes, without having to get an employee to open the glass doors for them to look at the back of an actual game box. Of course, the VidPro cards were sent to stores before the games were released and shipped, so the Dragon Hopper VidPro card got sent to a store, even though the actual game itself never got commercially released.


Yup, that is correct. I have some great vivid memories about the whole VidPro card system and how it worked...

First, you would pick-out the card for the game you were interested in purchasing, if you made the decision to purchase the game, you would then grab a paper slip that looked like a receipt located in the card slot. This slip had a barcode on the bottom of it for a cashier to scan for purchase. The cashier would've then stapled the slip to your actual receipt, and you were now ready to head over to the redemption center to retrieve your game. The redemption clerk would've ripped the slip off of the receipt (or left it on) to grab the game from store stock. Then they send you off happy :D

Quote:

Benjamin Stevens wrote:
You know, if there is any correlation between a game being rated by the ESRB and the same game having had a VidPro card made for it, there could very well be VidPro cards out there for Zero Racers and Virtual League Baseball 2, traces of which have yet to be found.


That's an interesting thought... What I find interesting though, is the fact that the VidPro display order form basically tells us that insert cards showing actual Virtual Boy hardware and accessories exist. That means there's probably a card that shows the unreleased US Virtual Boy headphones in US packaging. The headphones are even mentioned a few times in the Virtual Boy's manual.

The "Virtual Boy 1995 New Release Subscription" is most likely cards for all the games that were available at launch and for through-out the first year of the VB's release.

Attach file:



png  VidPro Display Order Form-1.png (798.03 KB)
8015_592fb8f65b991.png 720X906 px
Top

#15
Re: Virtual Boy VidPro Card Collection
Posted on: 2017/6/1 17:05
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1168 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
Holy crap, good find!
Top

#16
Re: Virtual Boy VidPro Card Collection
Posted on: 2017/6/1 20:10
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1118 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Cool stuff. Where did you find it?
Top

#17
Re: Virtual Boy VidPro Card Collection
Posted on: 2017/6/2 10:02
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2015/3/28
USA
381 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
Quote:

speedyink wrote:
Holy crap, good find!


Quote:

thunderstruck wrote:
Cool stuff.


Thanks!

Quote:

Where did you find it?


I found the card in an ebay listing for a small lot of VidPro cards. The lot included cards for other systems such as the NES, Game Boy, and PlayStation.
Top

#18
Re: Virtual Boy VidPro Card Collection
Posted on: 2017/6/2 15:00
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2293 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10Contributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Quote:

I found the card in an ebay listing for a small lot of VidPro cards. The lot included cards for other systems such as the NES, Game Boy, and PlayStation.


I must say that the seller was rather foolish for putting his own determined Buy-It-Now price on the lot. He surely could have gotten a lot more for the lot if he had allowed a bidding war to occur.
Top

#19
Re: Virtual Boy VidPro Card Collection
Posted on: 2017/6/2 16:00
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2516 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
Found it: www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Vid ... HTF-9-Cards-/201936849659

Wow, it must've been an intense 2 seconds between spotting the Dragon Hopper card in the photo and clicking the Buy-it-now button! Do you have a rough estimate how many beats your heart skipped in that moment?

$250 seems like a good deal considering the rarity of the goods. For you, not the seller, that is. But since you paid the price he considered a good deal for himself, and we all got amazingly beautiful scans, I'd call the whole thing a huge win-win situation for everybody.
Top

#20
Re: Virtual Boy VidPro Card Collection
Posted on: 2017/6/2 18:52
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2015/3/28
USA
381 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
Quote:

Benjamin Stevens wrote:

I must say that the seller was rather foolish for putting his own determined Buy-It-Now price on the lot. He surely could have gotten a lot more for the lot if he had allowed a bidding war to occur.


Dude I totally agree, I myself would've paid a nice lump of dough (way more then the price of the lot) just for the Dragon Hopper card, nevermind the entire lot!!! But I didn't have time to explain that to the seller, otherwise we probably wouldn't have the pictures provided in this thread.

Quote:

KR155E wrote:

Wow, it must've been an intense 2 seconds between spotting the Dragon Hopper card in the photo and clicking the Buy-it-now button! Do you have a rough estimate how many beats your heart skipped in that moment?


Yoooo! Guy... My heart didn't just skip beats, it literally stopped beating! I woke up in Rhode Island hospital to Jesus fanning my face with the Dragon Hopper card!

Quote:

KR155E wrote:
and we all got amazingly beautiful scans,



Yeah about that...these "scans" were made using a simple app on my phone called "tiny scanner app". It's a very nice thing to have, especially if you're someone like myself that doesn't always have access to a legit scanner. But I do plan on getting these truly scanned, so better scans will definitely be provided soon.
Top

 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic


Register To Post