You are not logged in.
Lost Password?

Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Very strange mainboard problem only with Bound High!
Posted on: 2015/4/2 9:26

Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
-1 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (10 Years)
I got a VB in from a PVB member with a very strange problem, it works fine with all the games he and I can throw at it, except for Bound High! which is for certain a problem with the mainboard.

I swapped out the displays with a VB head unit I have and the displays do not give problems, while my displays do show the same problem on the VB unit I received to repair.
The problem is that when the precaution texts are supposed to show, both screens just display a full red screen and text cannot be read in other parts of the game. I tested it with a Flashboy (non plus version) and repro copy of Bound High! and both had the same problem.

Does anyone here have an idea what it could be?

Re: Very strange mainboard problem only with Bound High!
Posted on: 2015/4/3 12:55

Joined 2012/10/16
-1 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years)
I'm a little bit confused with what you wrote, but the issue is related to bad connectors on the eye pieces due to how BH works. I think there was a thread about this already. Search for Bound High and it should come up.

Posted on: 2015/4/3 13:51

Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
-1 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (10 Years)
Quote:

Wyndcrosser wrote:
I'm a little bit confused with what you wrote, but the issue is related to bad connectors on the eye pieces due to how BH works. I think there was a thread about this already. Search for Bound High and it should come up.

Well, it most definitely isn't that, the display units were fine in another VB unit. But thanks for the input!

Posted on: 2015/4/3 14:32

Joined 2012/8/5
USA
-1 Posts
CoderLong Time User (7 Years) PVBCC 2013 3rd
Not being a hardware guy but a software one. If I saw the issue while coding id guess there was something wrong with character or bgmap memory areas.

Posted on: 2015/4/3 14:36

Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
-1 Posts
Quote:

Greg Stevens wrote:
Not being a hardware guy but a software one. If I saw the issue while coding id guess there was something wrong with character or bgmap memory areas.

That of course could very well be, Bound High! could use more of the RAM available than those other games and if that part of the RAM would be corrupted, this will only show up in that case.

Thanks for your input as well ;)

Posted on: 2015/4/3 18:11
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1473 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
I believe Wyndcrosser was talking about this thread. Is this the actual VB you're having trouble with? Back then, I also thought it might be a very specialized cable glitch problem, but that's been eliminated, obviously.

It has to be something like Greg mentioned; damage related to video RAM or the VIP itself. However, rather than actual damaged parts, it could be as simple as a short between some of the upper address lines, which would cause only certain areas of memory to be affected. Maybe a thorough wash with IPA (isopropyl alcohol) and/or ultrasonic vibration, followed by drying in a hot oven (with gradual warm-up and cool-down to prevent thermal shock to the parts), would solve it.

Posted on: 2015/4/3 18:17

Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
-1 Posts
Quote:

RunnerPack wrote:
I believe Wyndcrosser was talking about this thread. Is this the actual VB you're having trouble with? Back then, I also thought it might be a very specialized cable glitch problem, but that's been eliminated, obviously.

It has to be something like Greg mentioned; damage related to video RAM or the VIP itself. However, rather than actual damaged parts, it could be as simple as a short between some of the upper address lines, which would cause only certain areas of memory to be affected. Maybe a thorough wash with IPA (isopropyl alcohol) and/or ultrasonic vibration, followed by drying in a hot oven (with gradual warm-up and cool-down to prevent thermal shock to the parts), would solve it.

Yes, that is the VB I was talking about and it is already on its way to him. I acquired two VB's through eBay a month ago and used one of its mainboards to swap. So now he can finally play BH! without issues.

Too bad I do not have equipment to perform ultrasonic vibration to test your proposed process.

Seems I totally forgot about that thread, have been pretty swamped with stuff lately, working two very different jobs and have had a lot of extra curricular activities to boot!

Posted on: 2015/4/3 21:21

Joined 2012/10/16
-1 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years)
I will totally admit, that I did not read the entire post. Like I said it confused me slightly, so it sounded somewhat similar to the other issue reported. Thanks for the feedback.

Posted on: 2015/4/4 0:42

Joined 2006/11/16
-1 Posts
Long Time User (13 Years)
Take the VB apart, take macro shots of the mainboard. From both sides. You might get lucky and a member here can point out something obvious through visual inspection.

You might get even luckier and have the problem magically disappear once you re-assemble the VB.

It's worth a try.

cYa,

Tauwasser

Posted on: 2015/4/4 8:25

Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
-1 Posts
Quote:

Tauwasser wrote:
Take the VB apart, take macro shots of the mainboard. From both sides. You might get lucky and a member here can point out something obvious through visual inspection.

You might get even luckier and have the problem magically disappear once you re-assemble the VB.

It's worth a try.

cYa,

Tauwasser

Thanks for your input! Already cleaned the board by using an air compressor (while the mainboard seemed completely clean, though you never know) and I took a good look at all parts of the board using a magnifying glass and couldn't see anything.

Will be trying some homebrew later today to see if some other games exhibit these problems on this particular mainboard.

EDIT:
Well, I tried a lot of games and some homebrew and even the Display Tester didn't show any problems! So it seems to be isolated to BH! which might say something about BH! or makes it a very curious case. Could anyone with more software knowledge see if BH! uses more RAM than other games? I of course do not expect (if anyone is willing of course) to check it against all other available games.
If possible, comparing it randomly against a few other games could be insightful.
Edited by TheForce81 on 2015/4/4 9:10

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post