Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Benjamin Stevensí Role in the Making of Hyper Fighting
Posted on: 2015/2/10 0:31
Nintendoid!
Joined 2012/10/16
207 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years)
Let me ask this question, does Benjamin care if we donate to his cause? Well can we donate, I'm assumption is that he'll say no. If Benjamin says "no", can we donate to create another game for everyone to enjoy? Mr Anon, are you out there? lol

Posted on: 2015/2/10 1:12
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
930 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (9 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Although I am not thinking through the details, I would consider a pre-order campaign if orders were based on a demo and a well written outline. That may be the best way to gather group-based funding for a future project.

There has been talk of custom connectors. If we had a viable (affordable and easy) way to get them going then perhaps a Kickstarter for a Virtual Boy game could be fun? I wonder how much a project like that would need to raise to produce a game CIB? I wonder if there are enough Virtual Boy owners out there that would consider funding such a project?

The last project that hinted at a VB game was Vanguard V. They claimed if they raised 1M that they would produce a version of the game for the VB. It was a joke of a goal but after talking with the team they were ready to back-up it up if funding was met. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1662894668/vanguard-valkyrie/ While this was rather ridiculous, it did make the news. An actual commercial quality game that filled a missing niche (platformer, RPG, etc) would maybe peak interest?

Posted on: 2015/2/10 3:50
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2308 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10Contributor#2 PosterLong Time User (9 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Quote:

Wyndcrosser wrote:
Let me ask this question, does Benjamin care if we donate to his cause? Well can we donate, I'm assumption is that he'll say no. If Benjamin says "no", can we donate to create another game for everyone to enjoy? Mr Anon, are you out there? lol

Well, I am all about getting new games to play for the Virtual Boy, so yeah... I would much rather people try to get something together to raise money for a future game, rather than donate anything to me for this already completed game. It is very likely that I won't be able to fund another big project by myself in the future, at least not for a long while, so if we can come up with a way for the community to fund a project rather than a single individual, that would be most excellent, I think.

Posted on: 2015/2/10 3:54
PVB Elite
Joined 2007/10/26
USA
757 Posts
ContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (12 Years) Donator
I think having the coders get a certain % or dollar amount from the games sold would be an easier way to fund projects...just a way to say think you to the coders for their time....

-Eric

Posted on: 2015/2/10 18:32
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2011/4/8
Great Britain
418 Posts
Long Time User (9 Years)
As a heads up, Kotaku covered the game today - prepare for an influx of questions on YouTube channels and on here to some extent...

http://kotaku.com/street-fighter-ii-h ... -to-virtual-bo-1684937248

Posted on: 2015/2/10 20:02
Nintendoid!
Joined 2007/11/10
Austria
145 Posts
Long Time User (12 Years)
Quote:

L___E___T schrieb:
As a heads up, Kotaku covered the game today - prepare for an influx of questions on YouTube channels and on here to some extent...

At least I know now where all those weird Virtual Boy hating kids were coming from that I had to block from my channel. We Austrians are like that, we lock people we donīt like in our basements and we ban people from our Youtube channels before they can type the word "accent". ;-)

BTW: It was also covered here:
http://shoryuken.com/2015/02/09/ryu-l ... ion-of-street-fighter-ii/

Posted on: 2015/2/10 20:28
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1150 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

Benjamin Stevens wrote:

Well, I am all about getting new games to play for the Virtual Boy, so yeah... I would much rather people try to get something together to raise money for a future game, rather than donate anything to me for this already completed game. It is very likely that I won't be able to fund another big project by myself in the future, at least not for a long while, so if we can come up with a way for the community to fund a project rather than a single individual, that would be most excellent, I think.

Quote:

bigmak wrote:
I think having the coders get a certain % or dollar amount from the games sold would be an easier way to fund projects...just a way to say think you to the coders for their time....

-Eric

I'm not sure if money is the right way to keep a project going. I actually do appreciate it allot when people show interest in what I'm doing and of course when they like the final result. When I spent too much time on making a game I tend to burn out quite fast. Seeing that others actually care about what I'm doing makes a big difference.

Posted on: 2015/2/10 23:00
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2539 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
thunderstruck wrote:
Quote:

I'm not sure if money is the right way to keep a project going. I actually do appreciate it allot when people show interest in what I'm doing and of course when they like the final result. When I spent too much time on making a game I tend to burn out quite fast. Seeing that others actually care about what I'm doing makes a big difference.

I totally agree with you that other people's interest plays an important role in keeping up motivation to continue with a project beyond your own initial incentive. It has always been a driving force in the homebrew scene, while money is a totally new player in the game. It hasn't played a role at all before Hyper Fighting. At least not to my knowledge. It has always been about the fun of creating something.

I don't know the story beyond what Ben told us (thanks by the way for the very interesting read!), but I think it's absolutely OK that quite a bit of money was involved in the making of Hyper Fighing. It helped Mr. Anon through a time of financial shortage and led him to create what is arguably the most incredibly homebrew effort for the Virtual Boy to date. Ben got his dream game for his favorite console and eventually the community got a great demo to play on their FlashBoys plus a few full copies out in the wild. A win-win-win situation.

There is of course a slight risk that money might ruin everything in case people eventually don't consider creating homebrews to be worth their time anymore when there's no money to be earned with it. But I am sure that this will not happen. To the contrary, if enough financial support could be gathered in the future for individuals or little teams to really put lots of time and effort in a game, without having to worry about paying the rent, we might see more commercial-grade titles like Hyper Fighting in the future. I think it's a chance. I know I would definitely consider quitting my day job and putting all my time into a VB game if my expenses could be covered through crowd-funding for two years or so. That much (like, Kickstarter-much) money will most likely never be on the table for a Virtual Boy game, though. ;-)
Edited by KR155E on 2015/2/10 23:34
Edited by KR155E on 2015/2/10 23:35
Edited by KR155E on 2015/2/11 5:05

Posted on: 2015/2/11 9:35
Nintendoid!
Joined 2014/1/3
USA
168 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years) 40+ Game Ratings
I can't sigle handedly fund a commercial quality game, but if someone could make Chrono Trigger or another game I have great intrest in happen... I would most certainly pay an exuberant amount of funds to help the cause :)

Posted on: 2015/2/12 5:00
VB Gamer
Joined 2007/11/13
USA
47 Posts
Long Time User (12 Years)
Quote:

VectrexRoli wrote:
Quote:

L___E___T schrieb:

At least I know now where all those weird Virtual Boy hating kids were coming from that I had to block from my channel. We Austrians are like that, we lock people we donīt like in our basements and we ban people from our Youtube channels before they can type the word "accent". ;-)

BTW: It was also covered here:
http://shoryuken.com/2015/02/09/ryu-l ... ion-of-street-fighter-ii/

You also steal their pants and get them drunk on the job.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post