Joined 2007/11/10
Austria
143 Posts
Long Time User (12 Years)
Quote:

Benjamin Stevens schrieb:
Quote:

VectrexRoli2 wrote:
Is there some metal plate and velcro behind the "white box version" eye visor?

No, there's none of that, and you're right, it does sound like the work of whoever set up the kiosk and not Nintendo.

Should you ever open up that Virtual Boy would be interesting to know if there are also the grounding cables missing on the display units, like on the Mosaic versions.

Re: Post pics of your VB Collection
Posted on: 2015/1/14 15:57
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2293 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10Contributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Quote:

VectrexRoli2 wrote:
Should you ever open up that Virtual Boy would be interesting to know if there are also the grounding cables missing on the display units, like on the Mosaic versions.

Well, I definitely have no plans to ever try to open this system and analyze the inner contents, as I know from experience that there is no way that I will be able to open it without causing some wear and tear on the original screws holding it in place. Call me crazy or whatever, but I want to preserve the condition of absolutely every single part of this system as best as possible, including the original screws holding it in place. I don’t even plan to ever insert a cartridge into the system’s slot, so if this system is still a “virgin,” it will remain so indefinitely.

Posted on: 2015/1/15 1:15
Nintendoid!
Joined 2014/1/3
USA
168 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)40+ Game Ratings
Nice write up on an awesome find Ben! Its great to see that there are still some interesting finds to be had.

Posted on: 2015/1/21 15:52
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2293 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10Contributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Here are some neat items that I won in an Ebay auction recently. They are collectible caps that were made and distributed via Nintendo Power’s Super Power Club. This collection even includes two official Nintendo Power Super Power Club Caps binders to hold all of the caps in. There are 6 sheets in each binder, and each sheet holds 12 caps, so the first six sheets in the following photos are from the first binder that is completely full, and the 7th sheet is actually the first sheet of the second binder, which only contains the 4 known Virtual Boy Caps.

I don’t know how many caps were ever made and distributed via The Super Power Club, so I have no idea of how complete this cap collection is, but it consists of 76 caps comprising the following video games/characters/systems:

1. Super Metroid
2. Mega Man X
3. Mario Bros.
4. Stunt Race FX
5. Killer Instinct
6. Earthbound
7. Nintendo Mascots
8. Yoshi’s Island
9. Virtual Boy

The 4 Virtual Boy caps, namely those containing images for Galactic Pinball, Mario’s Tennis, Teleroboxer, and the Virtual Boy system itself, are the only caps that are optigraphics caps, where you can see different images on each individual cap, depending on the angle at which you hold the cap in relation to your eye. There are actually 3 images that can be seen in each cap: the image for the game or system, the standard Virtual Boy logo, and then the faint background image showing a different, circular logo for the Virtual Boy. If you look closely at the attached photo of these, you can actually see all 3 images at once because of the angle at which these were positioned when I scanned them. Earlier on this thread, I posted a picture of the 4 Virtual Boy Caps that I used to own but sold in the meantime, and the image for the game or system on each cap can be seen much more clearly in that previous picture posted.

Attach file:

png  1. Nintendo Power Super Power Club Caps Binder.png (1,593.28 KB)
1643_54bfbc424eb49.png 753X1042 px

png  2. Super Metroid and Mega Man X Caps.png (1,975.34 KB)
1643_54bfbcadd5907.png 771X1040 px

png  3. Mega Man X and Mario Bros Caps.png (2,028.33 KB)
1643_54bfbcd6b921d.png 778X1029 px

png  4. Mario Bros and Stunt Race FX Caps.png (1,999.96 KB)
1643_54bfbceac423d.png 776X1028 px

png  5. Stunt Race FX and Killer Instinct Caps.png (1,940.61 KB)
1643_54bfbcf67053b.png 772X1027 px

png  6. Killer Instinct, Earthbound and Nintendo Mascot Caps.png (1,923.51 KB)
1643_54bfbcffdb9ed.png 763X1032 px

png  7. Nintendo Mascot and Yoshi's Island Caps.png (1,904.97 KB)
1643_54bfbd0fc1cc1.png 753X1028 px

png  8. Virtual Boy Caps - Galactic Pinball, Mario's Tennis, Teleroboxer, Virtual Boy System.png (1,633.42 KB)
1643_54bfbd1a7d9da.png 731X1029 px

Posted on: 2015/1/22 0:05
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/10/23
Great Britain
385 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years) Donator
Very nice find Ben. They look in great shape too.

Posted on: 2015/1/22 1:39
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1167 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
Pogs! Damn those bring back memories..

Posted on: 2015/1/26 16:07
Nintendoid!
Joined 2012/1/23
Germany
131 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years) Top Donator: 2nd
Quote:

Benjamin Stevens schrieb:
White-Box, Pre-Production Virtual Boy System with White-Box, Pre-Production AC Adapter Tap

Very interesting version,I dont now this before.
Thanks for sharing!

Attach file:

jpg  1643_54b45be27bda5.jpg (1,805.64 KB)
2554_54c6581f9aa64.jpg 2560X1920 px

Posted on: 2015/1/27 7:09
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1465 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
Cool pogs, Benjamin!

Would it be possible to get a high-res photo of that round VB logo? I've been wanting one ever since I first saw a tiny version on DogP's site. Thanks in advance

Posted on: 2015/1/27 14:50
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2293 Posts
Quote:

RunnerPack wrote:
Cool pogs, Benjamin!

Would it be possible to get a high-res photo of that round VB logo? I've been wanting one ever since I first saw a tiny version on DogP's site. Thanks in advance

Sure, I will try my best. The best scanner I have available to me is at my parents' house, so when I visit them this weekend, I will try to remember to take along the pogs/caps and make 600 ppi scans of them (the scanner's highest resolution), and I'll try to angle them so that the logo appears most visible, since no matter what the angle is, there will always be some image showing in front of the logo.

I am actually currently working on English translations for some of the articles in the Famitsu Magazines dealing with unreleased Virtual Boy games, and I was already intending to take my magazines to my parents' house to make better scans of those articles, so I will just need to remember to add the pogs/caps to what I'm taking with me this weekend.

Posted on: 2015/1/31 22:59
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2293 Posts
Quote:

RunnerPack wrote:
Cool pogs, Benjamin!

I realize that it still isn't too clear, but I think it is the best I can do. Even looking at all 4 caps/pogs with my naked eye, I had to conclude that the circular logo looked the most prominent on the Mario's Tennis cap and that it also looked most prominent with the Standard Virtual Boy logo showing instead of the Mario's Tennis logo, and it's not possible to have neither logo showing over the circular Virtual Boy logo. Thus, this is the cap and angle that I chose as what would be best for highest resolution scanning for the circular Virtual Boy logo to be shown the best.

Attach file:

jpg  Circular Virtual Boy Logo.jpg (177.04 KB)
1643_54cd502a999be.jpg 1086X1979 px

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post