Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: The VB Glitchy Display Problem
Posted on: 2014/10/9 21:03
Nintendoid!
Joined 2007/7/29
111 Posts
Long Time User (12 Years)
RunnerPack.

I didnt have any issues, but as a precaution, i had him soldered my displays up. The same procedure is used to fix a variety of display-related issues.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 16:30
VB Gamer
Joined 2007/5/31
USA
45 Posts
Long Time User (12 Years)
Just curious, has anyone ever tried using a magic eraser on the displays to expose the metal instead of a fiberglass pen or the NaOH solution? Don't those things work like fine sandpaper

Posted on: 2014/11/30 3:48
Joined 2006/7/18
USA
4 Posts
Long Time User (13 Years)
Hello everyone.

I found a video on You Tube that offers an easy way to fix and to even prevent the dreaded and apparently inevitable "glitch" problem.

Here is the link for the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDHtZ-zBEDk

At 3:10 he discusses the glitch problem. What he says that I found most useful is that if you have a glitchy display you can fix it by leaving your VB turned on for an ENTIRE DAY OR EVEN TWO. Keeping it turned on for that long can or even should fix the problem. The VB display he made is also really incredible.

Posted on: 2014/11/30 3:57
Nintendoid!
Joined 2007/11/10
Austria
140 Posts
Long Time User (11 Years)
Quote:

thitherton schrieb:
Hello everyone.

I found a video on You Tube that offers an easy way to fix and to even prevent the dreaded and apparently inevitable "glitch" problem.

Here is the link for the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDHtZ-zBEDk

At 3:10 he discusses the glitch problem. What he says that I found most useful is that if you have a glitchy display you can fix it by leaving your VB turned on for an ENTIRE DAY OR EVEN TWO. Keeping it turned on for that long can or even should fix the problem. The VB display he made is also really incredible.

I like this guy and his channel, and he is an expert in making arcade cabinets and also repairing them, but some things he said regarding the glitchy display issue I cannot confirm and I own several Virtual Boys. Maybe when you are lucky it might help for some time in most cases the issue will come back.
BTW, as people are always having the same qustions about the Virtual Boy, I once made a beginners guide just in case that might be helpful for some Virtual Boy owners out there: http://youtu.be/j1-QOfFgr2w

Posted on: 2014/12/1 0:19
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
900 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
when my glitch issue first showed up it always got better the longer i played. i just assumed the warming of the system was causing the glue to warm up as well, making a better contact. the problem is that this is not a fix for the problem. eventually it will get worse. soldering is the only permanent solution.

Posted on: 2015/1/24 19:08
Joined 2014/12/26
1 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
I just wanted to state that I did send my messed up displays to RunnerPack and he did a superb job in just a few days. Thank you by the way. I have a crystal clear view into the 3d world of vb now and a machine that does not have the status 'must be repaired' any more. Great, clean, fast work. Recommendation for repairs in europe defenitely given!

Posted on: 2015/1/28 0:52
Nintendoid!
Joined 2014/5/16
USA
145 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)
I second what fups said. RunnerPack did awesome work. Quick, great communication, and all around nice guy. And the service was so cheap. He is obviously doing it for the good of the VB community and not to get rich. I couldn't believe the soldering job he did when I got them back. Popped them in and my VB was better than new. And for that Sir, I thank you.

Posted on: 2015/4/22 17:27
Joined 2013/1/6
1 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
Just wanted to say that RunnerPack did an amazing job with soldering the displays. Great communication, fast turnaround and they worked great as soon as I put them in. Really a solid member of the community and one who does great work. Thanks so much and I can't recommend his services enough.

Posted on: 2015/4/24 22:27
VB Gamer
Joined 2015/2/1
USA
10 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
I can also say that I am very happy with my recent fix! RunnerPack is a great guy and my VB is now working again. I am the second owner of my unit, with the previous owner being one that I know took care of it, and although I have treated it kindly and it has been in the box when not in use, my unit failed as well. If you haven't turned yours on in a while, give it a try. Likely it has or will go faulty so you should get the proper fix done while you can.

Posted on: 2015/4/27 3:48
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2288 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10Contributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
I'm just curious to know if anybody has gotten a Virtual Boy solder-fixed, or looked into getting a Virtual Boy solder-fixed, using this service:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pixeldust-Ret ... ain_0&hash=item3a8c5c5c22

They say they fix Virtual Boys but don't really say how. This could be yet another option for people looking to pay someone else to get their Virtual Boys solder-fixed.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post