USA
312 Posts
Long Time User (14 Years)
On the picture of the bottom, it says

Memory Ver
C
PAL Ver
A

Perhaps the TV-Out for this is PAL-only? If you plug it in to a US/Japanese NTSC TV and get all sorts of weird imagery, that's probably it.

Oh man, what a great win! Thank you so much for sharing the pictures? Are you going to take it all apart for us? :D

Re: VUE-DEBUGGER
Posted on: 2014/8/29 17:40
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2003/9/3
Sweden
442 Posts
PVBCC EntryHighscore Top10 3rdCoderContributorHOTY09 2ndLong Time User (15 Years) DonatorApp CoderPVBCC 2010 1st20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 2nd
Wohoo! I got it all up and running!
It was actually pretty easy once everything was hooked up properly (it needs an old COM-port mouse to run, luckily I still had one in the basement )

PC and TV connected, now I can debug!

The TV-out is indeed PAL-only, which is perfect for me living in Sweden. I dunno about taking it apart, maybe later

KR155E, How did you get that test mode running without connecting it to a PC? I just get a black screen if I boot it up by itself?

Attach file:

jpg  magic.jpg (96.92 KB)
27_54009eecb31aa.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/8/29 18:06
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2518 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
Simply amazing to see this baby working!

Is the 1.3 version of the sample software any different? Did you have a chance to look at the disks yet for any custom code? :-)

Quote:
KR155E, How did you get that test mode running without connecting it to a PC? I just get a black screen if I boot it up by itself?

That's weird... What exactly are you doing? Did you also hook up the controller? cartridge inserted on top? Might we have to compare jumper settings on the back of the debugger?

I only hooked up both the visor and the controller and booted the Debugger, then the test program started. I don't think I had to do any more than that.

Posted on: 2014/8/30 19:09
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2003/9/3
Sweden
442 Posts
PVBCC EntryHighscore Top10 3rdCoderContributorHOTY09 2ndLong Time User (15 Years) DonatorApp CoderPVBCC 2010 1st20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 2nd
I have the controller and visor plugged in, dip switches 1 and 3 on (also tried with all off, but they're for scsi id so it shouldn't matter anyways?) No cart plugged in on top. Don't get any test program. Maybe they removed it on later models? That would be stupid though...

The "mystery disk" contained two copies of the running monkey demo (both look identical) and the moving balls demo. Plus a textfile with some notes from a developer on how to run it, how to dump carts with it, and how to use it to play regular vb roms on it.

Posted on: 2014/9/3 23:57
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2003/9/3
Sweden
442 Posts
Quote:

KR155E wrote:

Is the 1.3 version of the sample software any different? Did you have a chance to look at the disks yet for any custom code? :-)

Yes! They corrected some flip bug in a graphics converting tool appearently, and added a simple parallax effect to the automatic pause screen.

But! ...Drumroll... What's really interesting about the 1.3 version disk is that it contains a Hudson folder with what seems to be a Hudson version of the same "running monkey" demo. The demo itself seems to look and play the same though

I didn't compare the source code yet, but the isx file is much bigger, so something must be different. I tried to make it into a .vb rom through the debugger, but it just turned into 48 kb of crap

Posted on: 2014/9/4 2:24
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1465 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

DanB wrote:

I didn't compare the source code yet, but the isx file is much bigger, so something must be different. I tried to make it into a .vb rom through the debugger, but it just turned into 48 kb of crap

Have you tried using my vbcvtisx or lameboyadvance's ISX2ROM?

The extra data may just turn out to be debugging information (which my program simply ignores).

Posted on: 2014/9/5 17:28
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2003/9/3
Sweden
442 Posts
I didn't remember about those, thanks

vbcvtisx doesn't work for me (not even on the 1.2 version isx?) and ISX2ROM can't handle it either. It appears it isn't an isx file after all, but in vuexe format. I guess it has to be re-compiled by vucc to get an isx file. I haven't set up my vucc environment yet.

However, I did use ISX2ROM to convert the regular 1.3 sample soft to a vb rom, and here it is. The pause screen has new graphics, and the entire rom seems to run faster than 1.2.

Attach file:

zip Sample Soft for VUE Programming (v1.3).zip Size: 15.66 KB; Hits: 185

png  new_pause_screen_in_1_3.png (2.04 KB)
27_5409d69ce16b4.png 384X224 px

Posted on: 2014/9/6 1:07
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2297 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10 1stContributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Quote:

DanB wrote:
I didn't remember about those, thanks

vbcvtisx doesn't work for me (not even on the 1.2 version isx?) and ISX2ROM can't handle it either. It appears it isn't an isx file after all, but in vuexe format. I guess it has to be re-compiled by vucc to get an isx file. I haven't set up my vucc environment yet.

However, I did use ISX2ROM to convert the regular 1.3 sample soft to a vb rom, and here it is. The pause screen has new graphics, and the entire rom seems to run faster than 1.2.

I can't get this ROM to work on hardware. I just see a black screen. To be sure, my other padded ROMs work just fine.

Posted on: 2014/9/6 12:26
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2003/9/3
Sweden
442 Posts
Hm, I don't know... I just converted the isx with lameboy's tool. Do the earlier released versions of this demo work on hardware?

Posted on: 2014/9/6 15:14
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2297 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10 1stContributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Quote:

DanB wrote:
Hm, I don't know... I just converted the isx with lameboy's tool. Do the earlier released versions of this demo work on hardware?

Versions 1.0, 1.1, and 1.1a work on hardware, while versions 1.2 and 1.3 do not.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post