Re: She canna take any more, captain!
Posted on: 2013/10/21 22:46
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
418 Posts
CoderLong Time User (6 Years)
Quote:

thunderstruck wrote:

libgccvb and the tech scroll didn't help me allot with this. I couldn't find any demo (except for the affine tilt one) showing how this is supposed to work. I understand the basic principle of how the affine mode is supposed to work. I'm just having trouble getting around the math part.

Though the affine window can be used for a perspective effect, the specifics on how to use the affine window is a different matter entirely and depends wholly on how you code up your program. Scaling is the simplest transformation, though rotation isn't too hard to grasp either. What you're looking for is a form of projection, and you can't just toss a couple of parameters to a function and make that work.

It doesn't help that there are multiple ways to approach the problem. The way I did the perspective is just one way; it may not be the most flexible nor the fastest, but it's flexible and fast enough for what I needed it to do.

Posted on: 2013/10/21 22:57
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1118 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

Guy Perfect wrote:

Though the affine window can be used for a perspective effect, the specifics on how to use the affine window is a different matter entirely and depends wholly on how you code up your program. Scaling is the simplest transformation, though rotation isn't too hard to grasp either. What you're looking for is a form of projection, and you can't just toss a couple of parameters to a function and make that work.

I actually throw a couple of parameters to a function to do the tilt but the result is not that great.

Quote:

Guy Perfect wrote:
It doesn't help that there are multiple ways to approach the problem. The way I did the perspective is just one way; it may not be the most flexible nor the fastest, but it's flexible and fast enough for what I needed it to do.

Well, yeah... that's the problem. My current way is not that great. Yours seemed to be better, that's why I asked. I can understand that it is too complicated to write it into a forum post though.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 2:27
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1168 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
Even though the project didn't get finished this is a great effort! Props to you man for trying =D F-Zero was a killer idea.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 17:28
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2005/9/17
USA
312 Posts
Long Time User (14 Years)
Oh man, great idea. Sorry to hear it didn't pan out. That said, I wouldn't mind playing without a minimap... :)

Posted on: 2013/10/22 17:37
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
418 Posts
Quote:

jrronimo wrote:
That said, I wouldn't mind playing without a minimap... :)

I hope you also wouldn't mind playing without a boost indicator, timer, lap number, rank indicator, or any presence of your machine or other racers! (-:

Posted on: 2013/10/23 20:23
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2005/9/17
USA
312 Posts
Long Time User (14 Years)
Quote:

Guy Perfect wrote:
Quote:

jrronimo wrote:
That said, I wouldn't mind playing without a minimap... :)

I hope you also wouldn't mind playing without a boost indicator, timer, lap number, rank indicator, or any presence of your machine or other racers! (-:

Hmmm... that might make things a *little* more difficult... hahaha.

Posted on: 2013/12/11 20:12
Nintendoid!
Joined 2013/3/25
217 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
It would be a real shame for this project to get outright canned. Surely some compromises could be made? How about only the track is rendered, while everything else is black? Simpler textures? Is the affine window the only easy way to get the timer/boost indicator/minimap/etc to work? Does the game take on even more slowdown the more you add stuff to the affine window?

That said, I wouldn't complain too much about a 25fps F-Zero.

Posted on: 2013/12/11 20:37
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
418 Posts
Quote:

SirGuntz wrote:

How about only the track is rendered, while everything else is black?

It'd be hard to see where you're going. Drawing *anything* over the affine window spikes the rendering time.

Quote:

SirGuntz wrote:

Simpler textures?

That's not how the affine thing works. (-:

Quote:

SirGuntz wrote:

Is the affine window the only easy way to get the timer/boost indicator/minimap/etc to work?

The affine window is responsible for displaying just the track.

Quote:

SirGuntz wrote:

Does the game take on even more slowdown the more you add stuff to the affine window?

Presumably. I haven't tried it because of the slowdown that already occurred.

Quote:

SirGuntz wrote:

That said, I wouldn't complain too much about a 25fps F-Zero.

Unfortunately, that doesn't meet the project requirements. I'm not willing to do a 25fps F-Zero.

Posted on: 2013/12/11 22:01
Nintendoid!
Joined 2013/3/25
217 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
Oh well, that's a really sad conclusion, the preview screens look amazing. :(

I know cost would be a huge issue, but would a grunt CPU on the cartridge board that could pre-render graphics help with keeping slowdown to a minimum? Or is the Virtual Boy not capable of that?

Posted on: 2013/12/11 22:06
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
418 Posts
Custom rendering hardware in the cartridge would absolutely make it possible. The affine window can be replaced entirely by an ordinary character map, provided the characters were prepared in the cartridge ahead of time. It'd require the Y-match VIP interrupt to work (which Mednafen doesn't implement), but it would work.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post