Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: FREE VB Display Repairs
Posted on: 2013/5/24 6:25
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
The repaired displays shipped out Wednesday... so a lot of you should be receiving them Friday and Saturday. They all worked great after repair.

One thing to note: there's a pretty consistent problem where the cables are dimpled from where they've been in contact with the socket on the motherboard side for 17+ years... this ends up causing a glitchy display problem as well. The easy solution is to simply pull the cable out a tiny bit.

When you push the display cable into the LIF socket, you'll feel a little bit of tension, and then you'll feel it sorta pop into place. That means you went too far. Just pull it out a tiny bit, where you feel a little bit of tension, and you'll be good to go.

I'd say about half of the displays did that... so I just wanted to mention that, as you're reinstalling your displays, to: 1) not push it in all the way, and 2) test it before completely reassembling (so you don't have to disassemble it if you pushed it all the way in).

There probably are other ways to deal with it... you may be able to use a roller or something to undimple the cable, or slide a piece of paper above the cable to increase pressure... or even trim a tiny bit off the end of the cable so you can push the cable in beyond the dimple... but simply pulling it out a tiny bit does the job, and there is enough tension that you shouldn't have to worry about it moving during normal use or shipping.

What this also means is that in 17 years, you may need to pull the VB apart again to deal with the new dimples in the cable. :-P

DogP

Attach file:

jpg  dimple.jpg (152.26 KB)
10_519eebac2b744.jpg 1117X780 px

Posted on: 2013/5/24 16:43
VB Gamer
Joined 2013/4/25
USA
11 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
Pat,

Thanks again for doing this for all of us - I'm so excited to get back to my VB! My kids have been bugging me about trying it out ever since they saw it on the dining room table in pieces!

Posted on: 2013/5/24 21:47
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2005/9/17
USA
312 Posts
Long Time User (14 Years)
That's an interesting new problem, and a bummer... but hopefully not a problem UNTIL it's been another 17 years or so.

I remember talk around here -- AGES back -- about straight up making new cables. Maybe in ~15 years we'll have to start in on that...

Thanks again DogP! This is a great service you've provided and I can't wait to have 3 VBs all functioning again. Now I just need to get a link cable and some homebrew that uses it... heh.

Posted on: 2013/5/25 4:41
Nintendoid!
Joined 2012/7/20
USA
154 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years) Top Donator: 1st30+ Game Ratings
Got mine today! I don't ever remember having such clear images. Finally, no more baking these in the oven...

Thanks again for your charitable work and for giving new life to my displays.

Posted on: 2013/5/25 5:33
Virtual Freak
Joined 2011/4/22
USA
60 Posts
Long Time User (8 Years)
Got mine Friday morning! PM'ed a thank you. Sent!

Posted on: 2013/5/25 7:52
Joined 2013/4/27
USA
4 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
Mine arrived today. Just played a round of Mario's Tennis for the first time! I can't believe you took it from completely blank non-working displays to a perfect picture! I'm so thrilled. Thank you SO much! You're awesome.

- Dante

Posted on: 2013/5/27 7:24
Nintendoid!
Joined 2012/10/16
206 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years)
would rolling really get rid of the dimples?

Could we solder over it? using thin solder wire

Posted on: 2013/5/27 10:23
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Glad to hear that they're making their way back safely, and that they're being enjoyed once again!

Quote:

mxpxrobbie wrote:
My kids have been bugging me about trying it out ever since they saw it on the dining room table in pieces!

As long as they're ages 7+... awesome! ;)

Quote:

jrronimo wrote:
I remember talk around here -- AGES back -- about straight up making new cables. Maybe in ~15 years we'll have to start in on that...

Yeah, hopefully prices on new flat flex cables will start to come down as the years go by. We had some made for work a few months ago and they were ~$100 a piece! I'm sure in REALLY large quantities that price would come down, but a rigid PCB of that size would be really cheap... hopefully flex circuits are just lagging behind a bit.

Quote:

Wyndcrosser wrote:
would rolling really get rid of the dimples?

Could we solder over it? using thin solder wire

I think rolling may help, except it may squish the cardboard and adhesive, making it thinner, which would reduce the pressure. The reason I think rolling will help is that I don't think the copper itself is dented, but that the cable has actually just rippled to conform to the socket (since it's so thin). See the attached pic (side view of the cable under the microscope)... you can see the dimpled part is wavy compared to the undimpled part. But yeah, I don't know that it'd hold its form for very long even if it was rolled flat again.

And by rolling, I mean using something like a rolling pin... not rolling the cable like you were rolling a poster.

But no, I don't think adding solder would be a good idea. It might add a little bit of thickness, but would probably be hard to get as thin as you need it. I think a safer way to do that would be to just jam a piece of paper above the current cable stiffener.

DogP

Attach file:

jpg  side_comp.jpg (21.20 KB)
10_51a316d4da5c1.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/5/27 11:20
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2007/7/28
Great Britain
336 Posts
Long Time User (12 Years) App Coder
Pat, what's the fix for a constantly shrinking / expanding image in one display ?

Posted on: 2013/5/27 23:01
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
Quote:

MineStorm wrote:
Pat, what's the fix for a constantly shrinking / expanding image in one display ?

I've never come across one that did that, but it'd have to be something in the control loop of the mirrors. There's an opto that detects the mirror vibrating back and forth... the system counts the pulses and either speeds up or slows down the mirrors to make it oscillate at exactly 50Hz.

IMO, the opto is the most likely culprit... either it's just dirty, or could be failing. There could also be a problem with the wiring, or the circuit that drives it, but since the other eye is working fine, I'd say that's less likely. I guess it's also possibly caused by a mechanical failure.

If you have a scope, you could look at the opto pulses and make sure that they're actually happening, and at a constant rate... otherwise I'd first check that the wiring is all connected well, and try blowing out the opto area. I don't think the system will run open loop if there's no signal at all from the opto (I seem to remember the display going black when I've stopped the mirrors)... though I'd have to try again to confirm.

DogP

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post