Lost Password?

Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: The VB Glitchy Display Problem
Posted on: 2013/4/23 10:52

Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
-1 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (10 Years)
Thanks for the tip DogP, looks like a solid and safer way indeed! Pretty easy as well.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 22:02
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2005/9/17
USA
314 Posts
Long Time User (14 Years)
That's a great find! Thanks for sharing, DogP! I've been meaning to do the NaOH/solder fix on my two bad units for ages, but the barrier to entry has been dealing with the NaOH itself.

A fiberglass pen, however... I smell a Saturday project! (Well, two Saturdays from now; I'll be out of town this weekend. :P)

Thanks again for sharing! And for all of your contributions to VB-kind. :)

Posted on: 2013/4/24 1:33
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
No problem... you can pick up a fiberglass pen at Radio Shack or an auto parts store, and yeah, there's not much to it. Just make sure to apply firm pressure and go upward, and it just works.

I saw someone earlier having problems with the NaOH. The trick to it is to use very little water and apply heat. The mixure will be solid at room temperature, but liquid when heated. I'd soak a piece of paper towel in it, lay it over the part of the cable I wanted removed, then stick it in my toaster oven at 150F-200F until the coating was eaten away (few minutes). But you gotta be careful not to overheat the parts, or get the chemicals on or under the window.

DogP

Posted on: 2013/5/9 0:03

Joined 2012/6/4
USA
-1 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (8 Years)
Ok I have absolutely no i dea what is going on with my vb. When i am up close to it with my face pressed right into the visor it looks fine with only ocasional glitch ups when the image on screen suddenly changes ect, but when you pull your face back and look through the left eyepiece (Right looks fine even from distance) it goes all fuzzy and glitches up. I dont think its glitchy display and why does it go all wonky when you move away any guesses?

1st image is up close 2nd is glitch up

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_20130508_193516.jpg (787.25 KB)
2817_518ae76f6940c.jpg 2448X3264 px

jpg  IMG_20130508_193354.jpg (997.38 KB)
2817_518ae788ddacf.jpg 2448X3264 px

Posted on: 2013/5/10 4:44
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

kkabalka wrote:
Ok I have absolutely no i dea what is going on with my vb. When i am up close to it with my face pressed right into the visor it looks fine with only ocasional glitch ups when the image on screen suddenly changes ect, but when you pull your face back and look through the left eyepiece (Right looks fine even from distance) it goes all fuzzy and glitches up. I dont think its glitchy display and why does it go all wonky when you move away any guesses?

1st image is up close 2nd is glitch up

That actually looks like a typical cable problem (when one of the clock pins isn't making good contact). I'm not sure why it matters whether your face is in or not, but I remember someone talked about a similar problem, where the displays would act fine in the dark, but not when the lights were on.

Maybe the cable is close enough that the clock is inductively coupling, but when the LEDs gather light, they act as photodiodes and cause a bias... or maybe it's radiating the clock like an antenna, and the reflection off your head in the near field causes constructive interference... I dunno... I'm just making things up. ;)

But yes, it's probably the cable.

DogP

Posted on: 2013/5/18 21:32

Joined 2012/6/4
USA
-1 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (8 Years)
Thanks for your reply! So you think a oven session should temporarily fix the problem? Its getting worse and worse today the left display lit up entirely making it impossible to make out an image.

Posted on: 2013/5/18 22:34

Joined 2011/3/10
USA
-1 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (9 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
the oven method is temporary at best and if you are not careful you risk ruining your cables. if you are going to go through the bother of opening up your VB then you should look for someone to solder your cables for you.

RunnerPack recently did a solder for one of our members and from what I read the price was extremely reasonable. Perhaps he is willing to take on your cables as well.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 5:07

Joined 2012/3/13
USA
-1 Posts
Long Time User (8 Years)
Finally, I got around to fixing my VB. It works!! Thank you DogP for finding the method to fixing this major problem.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 3:43

Joined 2013/5/18
-1 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years)
In my thread I suggested a conductive epoxy as a possible solution. However while browsing some sites tonight I found this which might be easier to buy and use.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/b70c/#tabs

Posted on: 2013/6/27 10:39
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
Quote:

DPsx7 wrote:
In my thread I suggested a conductive epoxy as a possible solution. However while browsing some sites tonight I found this which might be easier to buy and use.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/b70c/#tabs

I don't think that stuff, or conductive epoxy would work well for fixing VB displays. The pins are pretty tight (~0.6mm pitch IIRC), and it'd be really difficult to not short the pins. Of course, feel free to give it a try, but when you end up with a messy glob, be sure to clean it really well before it dries into a hard, shorted glob. ;) I've found that the conductive epoxy is useful for making/fixing circuits on non-conductive surfaces, but never found it to be much of a solder replacement.

The reason solder works so well is because it only "sticks" to the copper, and the flux keeps it from shorting between adjacent pins. So, with the right technique, you can drag solder across the bare copper and end up with a nice soldered connection.

DogP

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post