You are not logged in.
Lost Password?

Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Frustration --- "Virtual Lab" (the password mystery is solved!)
Posted on: 2013/3/14 19:41
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/12/28
Slovenia
635 Posts
Highscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCoderContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (11 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
I have no idea. I guess we'll never know.

EDIT:
The details about the passwords are on the previous page, in case anyone thinks this is my reply to Benjamin's original question about them.
Edited by HorvatM on 2013/3/14 21:10
Edited by HorvatM on 2013/3/14 21:37

Re: Frustration --- "Virtual Lab"
Posted on: 2013/3/17 1:05
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/12/28
Slovenia
635 Posts
Highscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCoderContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (11 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
The story continues!

I was thinking about the significance of MAX while reading Benjamin's translation of the Virtual Lab manual. I came to the part where it says how many levels up you go depending on your MAX value at the end of the level. I was curious whether this was actually implemented in the game.

After clearing a 38-piece monstrosity on level 1, the game gave me the password 0000098. This was strange to me because it wasn't divisible by 16. I realized that my encoding and decoding algorithms weren't entirely correct, so I experimented by trying out large MAX values.

It turns out that the MAX value is encoded with a modulo-based trick similar to the one used for the level. This is the correct encoding algorithm:

P := L * 32000 mod 510000 + M * 16 mod 255;
if BAnd(L, 8) <> 0 then P := P + 1000000;

The correct decoding algorithm is this:

P := P mod 1000000; // ignore the first digit
M := P mod 1000;
P := P - M; // get rid of the last three digits
Q := P div 32000;
R := P mod 32000;
L := R div 2000 * 16 + Q; // get level
Q := M div 16;
R := M mod 16;
M := R * 16 + Q; // get MAX

I tested it against all the odd passwords listed on this site and they are valid. The passwords for levels 44 and 56 are actually for levels 43 and 55, but they are still valid.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 17:27
Nintendoid!
Joined 2013/1/19
USA
114 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years) Donator20+ Game Ratings
So, other then finally figuring out how/why/what of the password mystery was there anything else of interest in the code/on the cart? Unused Graphics or sound? ACTUAL music? Cryptic notes from the mentally unstable programmers?

Posted on: 2013/5/1 19:39
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/12/28
Slovenia
635 Posts
Hey, don't be so harsh on the programmers. So far it has been thought that the game was rushed to market because Nintendo was going to cancel the VB soon, and it certainly seems like it.

I've made a very complete ROM map of the game, and there are about 13 kilobytes of unidentified data, most of which is probably for music and sound effects. The whole game, for comparison, is 63630 bytes of code and 216640 bytes of data (on a 1 megabyte cartridge!). I know roughly where the title screen music is stored, but I have no clue on the format. Also, 13 kilobytes is quite a lot for a game with so few music tracks (and they aren't very long), so there could be tons of unused music in there.

I have however discovered some unused content, which I've described here:

http://www.planetvb.com/modules/newbb ... t_id=22312#forumpost22312

BTW, in my previous post I forgot to mention whether MAX has any effect on the level. It works as described in the manual, but it's ridiculously hard to clear so many pieces at once, probably because the gameplay mechanics weren't finalized at the time of the game's release.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 5:56
Nintendoid!
Joined 2013/1/22
USA
198 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years)
Quote:

HorvatM wrote:
Hey, don't be so harsh on the programmers. So far it has been thought that the game was rushed to market because Nintendo was going to cancel the VB soon, and it certainly seems like it.

Several of the games were "rushed to market" ostensibly to recover at least some of the development costs. Waterworld certainly was that way. Maybe some day we can have a "remastered Waterworld".

I really think "Vertical Force" was another; it doesn't have much of an ending, just some text that gets put up "game over".

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post