Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: 3DS-FAIL "Ambassador program"
Posted on: 2011/8/4 4:12

Joined 2011/4/7
USA
-1 Posts
Long Time User (9 Years)
In my opinion, this is actually a great move on Nintendo's part.

Afterall, it seems only fair that they compensate us "early-adopters" for the $90 price cut taking place just less than 5 months after launch; they certainly didn't HAVE to do this, but that's not to say they wouldn't lose some fans if they hadn't.

What this does for me is help to maintain the feeling of pride instilled when purchasing at launch, rather than overriding that with an overwhelming sense of betrayal. I find it especially nice of them that the GBA games in particular are going to be EXCLUSIVELY available to "3DS Ambassadors" (as they are currently claiming, at least), meaning you'll have bragging rights that in my mind supersede those of someone who "paid $100 less than you".

Posted on: 2011/8/5 4:25

Joined 2010/2/19
USA
-1 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (10 Years) Top Donator: 2nd20+ Game Ratings
Well, if 3DS isn't in a downward spiral, good for Big N. I'm more of a fan of VB than 3DS, so won't shed too many tears if the outcome is gloomy.

If the Ambassador program is an apology...(Do Nintendo kids even know what an "Ambassador" is?), I guess there is nothing we can do but be thankful. I do see a list of good games, which I guess is a plus, but I'm not a fan of roms or "roms purchased officially". I see Metroid Fusion is one of the downloads, wish it was remade in stereo 3D and I'd be happy there.

If this program means that 3DS isn't a failure in Nintendo's eyes, which I still doubt, I *guess* I should pretend to be thankful for the peace offering. To me, roms are lame and free and it doesn't mean $80 or jack to me.

I've now beat Zelda, so 3DS needs some titles to make it worth it. Not some price drop, not some free roms that are free anyway, but some darn games. Before you give up Nintendo, I'd like Dragon Hopper/Kid Icarus Uprising.

If they're already free... and the "free" games are not revamped in 3D for 3DS, I'd like my $80 back. I already own the games offered in the "ambassador" free ROM program in original & official monetarily valuable physical form.

I look forward to playing MasterQuest, because I FEAR it will be the last thing I will do/enjoy on this thing.

A side note to others, Giant AR cards are now available on Club Nintendo. You can print up useable ones yourselves, but still a cool item to own.
Edited by VirtualJockey on 2011/8/5 4:40
Edited by VirtualJockey on 2011/8/5 4:43
Edited by VirtualJockey on 2011/8/5 4:44
Edited by VirtualJockey on 2011/8/5 4:45

Posted on: 2011/8/5 6:05

Joined 2010/7/20
USA
-1 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (9 Years) Donator
You don't think Kid Icarus Uprising will become an unreleased game... right?

It is one of the top reasons I want a 3DS...

Posted on: 2011/8/5 8:25

Joined 2011/7/31
Canada
-1 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (8 Years)
i don't know what's giving anybody the impression that the machine is a failure. even with the "lackluster" sales, they've pushed almost 3 and a half million units in 4 months, and that's with fairly minimal software support. the big titles are yet to hit, and when they do, given the current price point, unit sales are going to pick up like mad. we don't even have any real numbers on sales with the new price, yet.

in retrospect: the PSP has pushed 3.4million units this entire year so far (7 months) and the 3DS has pushed 3.3million in 4 months. in 7 months this year, the 360 pushed 4.6million and even the Wii pushed 4.7million. it goes without saying that the thing is going to get big once it gets the killer apps, which - having seen E3 this year - it's going to in spades.

if nintendo canceled anything regarding the 3DS they'd just be asking for losses, which is not something they could risk on such a humongous endeavor.

Posted on: 2011/8/5 13:02

Joined 2010/7/20
USA
-1 Posts
Quote:

renardqueenston wrote:
if nintendo canceled anything regarding the 3DS they'd just be asking for losses, which is not something they could risk on such a humongous endeavor.

Dragon Hopper probably could have been a good selling VB game too

Posted on: 2011/8/5 22:29

Joined 2011/7/31
Canada
-1 Posts
the VB also only pushed 800k units by then. the 3DS has already quadrupled those sales statistics in a third of the time.

dragon hopper wasn't going to be an a-list release for the VB just because the VB itself wasn't a-list; nintendo already had their killer console in the pipeline (the n64) and were banking on that instead.

the 3DS is such a different case because the software lineup is set up to phase out the DS. all the big titles are coming, and people will replace their DSes with 3DSes when nothing will be coming out on the DS any more. it's a much more natural progression, whereas the VB was a curveball, something completely different, just horrendously marketed as a replacement.

Posted on: 2011/8/6 2:24

Joined 2010/2/19
USA
-1 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (10 Years) Top Donator: 2nd20+ Game Ratings
Quote:

renardqueenston wrote:
the VB also only pushed 800k units by then. the 3DS has already quadrupled those sales statistics in a third of the time.

800k VB sales by 1996 to 4m sales for 3DS in 2011 isn't exactly a fair comparison considering how "nerdy" games were viewed/perceived by the public compared to the now when families, adults, and women enjoy gaming opposed to pretty much exclusively just adolescent males asking their parents to make purchases in 1995/1996.

Quote:
dragon hopper wasn't going to be an a-list release for the VB just because the VB itself wasn't a-list

I wouldn't go that far, DH was a 2nd party game to be published by the big N themselves and looked like a fantastic Zelda-inspired game. I still don't understand why DH never had a release, even if they were giving up on VB, it would have pushed the sales of the close-out consoles.

Dragon Hopper was a VB exclusive and scheduled at a late release date, much like KI Uprising is on 3DS, which is why I compared the two HUGE titles.

OT: Love your username, have you seen Ladislas Starewitch's 1930 film classic "Le Roman de Renard / The Tale of the Fox"?

Posted on: 2011/8/6 4:07

Joined 2011/7/31
Canada
-1 Posts
fair play on both of those points for sure. i suppose the main point stands that it's not far behind other consoles and has only been out for a few months, and is sure to pick up. mostly because of the whole "replacement console" thing it has going on.

and yes, i've definitely seen le roman de de renard! even if it was after i chose the username, it ended up being a good connection to have, hahaha

Posted on: 2011/8/6 9:14

Joined 2010/7/20
USA
-1 Posts
Quote:

renardqueenston wrote:
whereas the VB was a curveball, something completely different, just horrendously marketed as a replacement.

The Virtual Boy was never meaning to be a replacement to the Game Boy... Gunpei Yokoi once mentioned that in an interview

Posted on: 2011/8/6 9:54

Joined 2011/7/31
Canada
-1 Posts
yeah, i'm aware it wasn't, hence me mentioning that it was horribly marketed as one. including "boy" in the title after the game boy and marketing it as being portable made it sound like a replacement or upgrade to consumers, which it wasn't, while the 3DS is an obvious upgrade to the DS in every way.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post