Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Project VBoot
Posted on: 2011/5/15 12:59
VB Gamer
Joined 2007/7/30
Germany
23 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (12 Years)
I've been away for quite some time and didn't know about this project. But now I am back! :)
I have a FlashBoy+ but I would also buy a VBoot. It looks great so far.

Posted on: 2011/5/16 17:16
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (10 Years)
Quote:

e5frog wrote:
Unless you live alone there are always family matters, but what's the hurry anyway? Last big project I worked on took about five years - that's the timespan you have when just having a few hours per week to spend.

I think the biggest problem when working on something like this out in the open is that all the negative comments hit a lot harder than the positive comments lift - so you tend loose interest after a while and start to think that nobody really wants it...

There are always people that have comments, "you can't route like that", "why not use this and that", "it looks bad", "you'll save $0.01 with this part instead" and so on...
But do we see them working on one - nope, if you suffer from perfectionism nothing ever gets done because it's too much work to do it exactly right. So the people that have less of this and are more of "let's do it"-people get it done and working (most of the time) even if it's not according to every little rule the "know-betters" have learned on work, in school or at summer camp once 1989. ;-)

Maybe you should skip it if it's not fun anymore, do something more stimulating at least for a while. Getting a partner can help, you can take turns working on it. Trying to get something done that isn't fun can really take you down.

Anyway, hope you do it - I will buy one if I can afford one, it would be very handy being to start the VB and choose any game instead of first having to hook it up to the PC and flash the cart. FlashBoy/FlashBoy Plus is the best thing out there now though and I'm glad to have one.

So what's left to do? I'm sure there are people here willing to help if you divide it up in little parts.

If you make a list, what more have you planned to do? The hardware is done as far as a real prototype that needs some software to run, right?

You make some really good points, e5Frog, thanks.

If I keep going there is one aspect that I will probably need help with. I need someone or several people who is/are capable of developing VB homebrew using the current tools. I need to design a quick and dirty menu system that the VB will boot into. I need someone who knows how to use the save RAM in a game, and who knows a fair bit about the CPU, interrupts and the expansion area ROM. I was planning on doing this all myself, but the hardware and embedded software has proved to be a really big challenge by itself, so it may be necessary to bring someone in.

Posted on: 2011/5/16 17:17
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
Quote:

Cyberdyne wrote:
I've been away for quite some time and didn't know about this project. But now I am back! :)
I have a FlashBoy+ but I would also buy a VBoot. It looks great so far.

Thanks. Awesome helmet in your avatar icon!

Posted on: 2011/5/17 8:42
VB Gamer
Joined 2007/7/30
Germany
23 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (12 Years)
Quote:
Thanks. Awesome helmet in your avatar icon!

Thank you! Just finished this project and pictures are already on the way to KR155E. You will get more information here on this webside soon.

Now I need your VBoot for this helmet to make it perfect! ;)

Posted on: 2011/10/3 4:18
Virtual Freak
Joined 2008/8/13
USA
94 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (11 Years)
It's been a few months, any updates?

Posted on: 2012/3/29 15:26
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know I'm not dead! It's been a long time but I have not given up on the project. Here is my latest update.

http://brennanthl.wordpress.com/2012/03/28/vbsd-update-03282012/

Posted on: 2012/3/29 16:05
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2521 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
WOOT! Great to see you back working on this!

Posted on: 2012/3/29 16:13
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/1/5
Sweden
560 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years) Donator30+ Game Ratings
Sounds like it will be expensive, do you have any aim regarding the cost?

Sounds to me a Spartan-3 should be enough. Can't you download an entire VIC-20 emulation in one of those? You'd need to know how of course, don't have those skills myself, made a 8x8 multi color LED battleship game with sampled sound effects some years ago that's about it.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 19:02
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
Quote:

e5frog wrote:
Sounds like it will be expensive, do you have any aim regarding the cost?

Sounds to me a Spartan-3 should be enough. Can't you download an entire VIC-20 emulation in one of those? You'd need to know how of course, don't have those skills myself, made a 8x8 multi color LED battleship game with sampled sound effects some years ago that's about it.

Spartan-3's require a fourth power plane at 2.5V for all the VCCAUX connections. I didn't have enough board room or patience for 4 power planes and another regulator. The cost difference between 3 and 3A isn't too bad and I agree that a Spartan 3A is total overkill but I've looked into other options already.

The cost won't be too bad except for the SRAM, because 32M parallel SRAM's are expensive parts. I could save 90% of the cost of the SRAM by switching to an SDRAM but that adds a lot of complexity because of random access schemes (to interface with the VB) and row/column refreshing and clock generation. Another option is to downgrade the SRAM to 16M. The part I'm using has a pin-compatible 16M version, so I may decide to use 16M to save $10 or so, and then implement the flash save RAM and VBSD menu in the FPGA in memory blocks.

Again, this is a prototype and after I get it working I might decide to switch out the RAM and use a cheaper part to save cost.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 19:47
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/12/28
Slovenia
635 Posts
Highscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCoderContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (11 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
It's great to see you working on this again.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post