Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: FB+ swapping the battery -- how?
Posted on: 2011/4/14 6:05
Nintendoid!
Joined 2009/8/11
USA
112 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years)
Lester, if you are willing to spend $14 on a gamebit, why not spend $10 on a multimeter? It's always good to at least be able to measure battery voltage.

Fwirt and GYF, I assure you cost is always the driving force. By using the battery with tabs, they also reduce their BOM from 2 parts to just 1, and they no longer need someone to install batteries in every cartridge which is a huge savings in itself. Plus, the way they did it is a better electrical connection and has no worries of having the battery somehow pop out accidentally. And with a clip, the solder joint is always under tension, so dropping the cartridge could break the connector (I had a key fob with a similar connector that would break after being dropped a few times, I had to fix it at least 3 times). And really, the battery provides 10+ years with no service, so who cares? It is only now that we are running into this problem.

But bottom line is always cost. Sad reality is that accountants run the world. Doesn't matter if you are selling something for $1 or $10,000, saving money, no matter how small, adds up.

Posted on: 2011/4/14 6:43
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2006/9/29
USA
267 Posts
CoderLong Time User (13 Years) PVBCC 2010 3rd
Yeah, you're right about having to pay someone to insert the battery, I hadn't thought about that. I also didn't think the mechanical stress of being dropped would be an issue. The engineers know what they're doing, and I know the savings add up, ($0.01 over 1 million cartridges is $10,000 after all!) but I still wish it was possible to make things easier on people who want to use the product later... Things just aren't built to last anymore.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 11:53
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
922 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
It is a little less then a year since I replaced my battery. I haven't used my VB at all over the past 8 months. I set it up tonight and found that my battery is once again not saving. I should have access to a meter tomorrow, and I'll test to see what the voltage is. I can't believe that the battery would be dead from being stored for the past 8 months, but then again, we do have extreme temperatures here. It was over 90 F most of the summer and now its around 40. I do not have central heart or air so everything here feels the environmental changes. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

Posted on: 2013/2/11 16:40
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2301 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10 1stContributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
I think there is definitely the possibility that the problem does not lie with the battery. My FlashBoy Plus has never been able to save games since I first got it, so I've wondered if there could be some other issue causing it rather than a dead battery. I don't usually care to save games on my FlashBoy Plus anyway, so I've never tried to pursue getting the problem of the lack of save function resolved.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 22:46
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
922 Posts
i flashed over fishbone about 12 hours ago and that high score is still there. it seems that when i flash a new rom that the save works, but if i leave that rom on there for an extended period of time that i eventually lose the save.

i really need to do a lot more debugging before i can actually say that my last statement is true. i'll keep checking the cart of the next few days and see if it keeps the save.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 21:22
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
922 Posts
a bit late for this reply...

with a new battery (my 3rd) the cart seems to be saving fine. i had wario land on there months ago, enjoyed it, then flashed a different game. lastnight i flashed wario back and my old save is still there. right now i'm blaming the battery and extreme heat combination for my issues. i'll continue to test with this battery throughout the year and see what happens.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post