Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

VB games displayed on 3DS
Posted on: 2011/3/18 11:18

Joined 2008/11/10
Great Britain
-1 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (11 Years)
This is a pointless thing to do, but my off centered mind can't shift the thought, here goes:

Set up you 3DS on a tripod support (needs to be kept still and correct distance) sit it right up against the VB with each camera looking at each VB array, would the image on the 3DS screen come out with depth?

A very pointless exercise, but if it works you could play VB games looking at the 3DS screen and not with face in the visor, yes I'm really struggling to see why anyone would do such a thing, but I think I'm gonna have to give it a go in 6.6 days time.

Re: VB games displayed on 3DS
Posted on: 2011/3/18 12:58

Joined 2010/7/20
USA
-1 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (9 Years) Donator
don't feel bad, I come up with ideas many might consider crazy all the time!

I like the idea, but would it really work?

Posted on: 2011/3/18 14:44

Joined 2008/11/10
Great Britain
-1 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (11 Years)
Quote:

gunpeiyokoifan wrote:
don't feel bad, I come up with ideas many might consider crazy all the time!

I like the idea, but would it really work?

Lol, i don't feel bad, i know your ideas are just about the craziest out there, so i have a way to go to catch up.

don't stop having them thoughts through, you might one day unlock the secret to dark matter energy capture and that could lead to wormholes.

Back to subject, I think this will work to some degree, so def gonna give it a go.

Posted on: 2011/3/18 15:28

Joined 2010/2/14
USA
-1 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (10 Years)
All you would see on the 3DS screen through the cameras is a couple of red dots at best. If you think about the way the VB displays work, there isn't an actual LCD screen displaying the images, it's all done via a 2D array of LED's and scanning mirrors. If you tried to take a picture of it with anything, the picture wouldn't have any discernible image because unlike your eyes, it can't use the persistence-of-vision effect to piece together the image over time. The only way would be to use some kind of long exposure picture, but even if that was possible there are a host of other problems that would make it impossible.

Posted on: 2011/3/19 0:23

Joined 2010/7/20
USA
-1 Posts
but how come people can take pictures through the eye pieces (I've seen pictures like this) and it doesn't show up as LED lights?

Posted on: 2011/3/19 7:08

Joined 2003/7/25
USA
-1 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

Vaughanabe13 wrote:
All you would see on the 3DS screen through the cameras is a couple of red dots at best. If you think about the way the VB displays work, there isn't an actual LCD screen displaying the images, it's all done via a 2D array of LED's and scanning mirrors. If you tried to take a picture of it with anything, the picture wouldn't have any discernible image because unlike your eyes, it can't use the persistence-of-vision effect to piece together the image over time. The only way would be to use some kind of long exposure picture, but even if that was possible there are a host of other problems that would make it impossible.

That's not true... cameras do have a sense of persistence of vision... it's the exposure time. That's why we can take pictures of the VB screens, as well as a CRT. If you have a really short exposure time then yes, you'll only see what has happened on the screen in that short amount of time, but in the VB's case, 1/50th of a second isn't that long of an exposure (especially since it's fairly dim, so an auto-exposure will likely be at least that long).

And just to be anal about your argument... it's actually a 1D column of LEDs (not 2D array, that'd be like a plain LCD display), and with a really fast exposure, you'd see a column, not just a few dots ;) .

I do think it'd sorta work, but probably be low quality, and maybe too laggy to play. That'd be really cool if they had a video input to the 3DS... then I could hook up my VB TV adapter and play it in high resolution digitally converted goodness :) .

DogP

Posted on: 2011/3/19 9:06

Joined 2006/9/28
USA
-1 Posts
CoderLong Time User (13 Years) PVBCC 2010 3rd
My question would be, are the cameras the right distance apart? They looked too close together in the pictures to get a good VB shot to me. As far as the POV issue, you're probably going to see "scanlines" as the camera refresh overlaps with the time when the display is in the middle of the frame. (But will they be vertical in the VB's case?) It's still a cool idea though.

Of course, this whole problem would be resolved in a way if Nintendo would release some of the VB games they still have the rights to on 3DS. I really think Teleroboxer has further potential...

Posted on: 2011/3/20 1:02

Joined 2010/2/14
USA
-1 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (10 Years)
Quote:

DogP wrote:
Quote:

Vaughanabe13 wrote:

That's not true... cameras do have a sense of persistence of vision... it's the exposure time. That's why we can take pictures of the VB screens, as well as a CRT. If you have a really short exposure time then yes, you'll only see what has happened on the screen in that short amount of time, but in the VB's case, 1/50th of a second isn't that long of an exposure (especially since it's fairly dim, so an auto-exposure will likely be at least that long).

And just to be anal about your argument... it's actually a 1D column of LEDs (not 2D array, that'd be like a plain LCD display), and with a really fast exposure, you'd see a column, not just a few dots ;) .

I do think it'd sorta work, but probably be low quality, and maybe too laggy to play. That'd be really cool if they had a video input to the 3DS... then I could hook up my VB TV adapter and play it in high resolution digitally converted goodness :) .

DogP

I'd be willing to bet my life savings it won't work. The camera spacing on the 3DS would never be able to pick up each VB screen without crosstalk. Also I know how the display works, I just didn't do a good job of explaining it. the camera would see a 2D array but it would be all blurred because the 3DS/DS has horrible cameras.

And even if any of this were possible it still wouldn't work because sources say the "3d picture" feature of the 3DS is crap and doesn't even work well at all.

Posted on: 2011/3/20 15:46

Joined 2010/7/20
USA
-1 Posts
Quote:

Vaughanabe13 wrote:
And even if any of this were possible it still wouldn't work because sources say the "3d picture" feature of the 3DS is crap and doesn't even work well at all.

sources say the Virtual Boy is horrible too (however, I'm not claiming I think I know anything about the 3DS... I haven't even played with one yet!)

Posted on: 2011/3/20 21:16

Joined 2010/2/15
Netherlands
-1 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years)
Quote:
sources say the "3d picture" feature of the 3DS is crap and doesn't even work well at all.

What sources? I've only heard the opposite so far...

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post