757 Posts
ContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (11 Years) Donator

Re: Link Cable project interest
Posted on: 2010/11/12 2:34
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Thanks for the input... glad to see there's interest! Hedgetrimmer sent me a new model this morning with the full connector and shell, which we've gotta verify will won't interfere with any other part of the VB, and possibly make some minor modifications.

I assume a black connector and cable is preferred? I think that'd match the rest of the system the best (and look OEM), though I can have the plastic molded in several different colors, as well as getting the cable in various colors. Red would probably be the only other reasonable option, but I don't think it'd look as good as black.

I planned on 6' cables, unless there's a special request.

And yes, link cable GDB would be amazing... unfortunately, I still haven't had time to learn enough about GDB to make it happen. Hopefully one of these days :) .

I'll keep you all updated on progress.

DogP

Posted on: 2010/11/12 4:21
Nintendoid!
Joined 2008/10/19
USA
102 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years)
That all sounds good to me, personally!

As far as the colors go, I could imagine red connectors with a black cable to be a fairly attractive scheme, and it would be more unique for the VB rather than a pure black cable, but either way works with me!

Posted on: 2010/11/13 2:00
Nintendoid!
Joined 2009/8/11
USA
112 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years)
Am I correct to assume that the actual cable assembly part is insignificant as far as cost goes?

The nice thing about just buying the plugs and making our own cables is that it would be easy to make a cable to connect to computer then.

Posted on: 2010/11/13 3:35
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

mbuchman wrote:
Am I correct to assume that the actual cable assembly part is insignificant as far as cost goes?

The nice thing about just buying the plugs and making our own cables is that it would be easy to make a cable to connect to computer then.

Yes, the cable is very cheap (probably <10 cents/ft), unless I can find some really nice cable. I'd really like something like the cable used on the VB controllers, but so far I haven't found anything like that for a reasonable price.

The expensive part is the custom molded plastic pieces. The price on them does come down with a lot of quantity, but for ~100 connectors, it's just really tough to make them cheap (unless anyone owns a plastic molding shop ;) ).

DogP

Posted on: 2010/11/13 17:15
Nintendoid!
Joined 2003/7/28
USA
110 Posts
Long Time User (15 Years)
I'd buy one. I think that red connectors with a black cable would be the best route (like the red/black scheme of the official headphones), and would give it that VB charm.

Posted on: 2010/11/14 21:53
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/2/19
USA
559 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (9 Years) Top Donator: 2nd20+ Game Ratings
Quote:

VBSAM wrote:
I'd buy one. I think that red connectors with a black cable would be the best route (like the red/black scheme of the official headphones), and would give it that VB charm.

Red & Black would look nice, but I think an all black OEM look would be best.

Quite frankly, I'd still buy one even if it was orange and pink!

Posted on: 2010/11/15 4:54
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
I personally think all black would be best... even in the headphone example, the connector on the headphone is black. It seems like everything that connects to the bottom of the VB is black (controller, headphones, stand)... I think the link cable should be as well.

Anyway, I'm still waiting to hear back on a price for the completed assembly... hopefully it'll be reasonable enough that I can make this happen. I'll keep you guys updated.

DogP

Posted on: 2010/11/15 10:41
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1465 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
Although my input doesn't really matter, since I can't justify the cost, I also think an all-black cable is the way to go.

Posted on: 2010/11/15 21:32
Nintendoid!
Joined 2003/7/28
USA
110 Posts
Long Time User (15 Years)
Quote:

DogP wrote:
I personally think all black would be best... even in the headphone example, the connector on the headphone is black. It seems like everything that connects to the bottom of the VB is black (controller, headphones, stand)... I think the link cable should be as well.

Good point. Black is the most logical because it falls in line with the other connectors used for the system. I just don't want it to get lost in the sea of black cables I own. I think such a specialty cable deserves a color scheme equally as special... but I'm happy either way!

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post