Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Flashboy on Ebay
Posted on: 2010/8/3 7:59
VB Gamer
Joined 2010/7/27
22 Posts
Long Time User (9 Years)
I recently saw a Flashboy on Ebay that sold for $204.47. Ouch. Hope I can make the preorder for the next batch!

Re: Flashboy on Ebay
Posted on: 2010/8/3 11:46
Nintendoid!
Joined 2009/8/3
Spain
129 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years) Donator60+ Game Ratings
That's awful !! People like Richard Hutchinson and Kr155e are working hard to sell a good price Flashboy units . I think people who try to win a lot of money with Flashboy carts don't deserve their own units .

Posted on: 2010/8/3 13:59
Virtual Freak
Joined 2010/6/29
USA
53 Posts
Long Time User (9 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
I saw one on eBay to! The auction is still going, but it's current price is up to 100$.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 14:30
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2519 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
I don't think it's awful. I don't think anyone got a FlashBoy just to make profit selling it, it's more likely that those selling their's on ebay are just no longer interested in the VB or something.

Actually, I am happy and a bit flattered that the FlashBoy is such a sought after item. I am sure the same applies for Richard. Such auctions only show, that, while 90 EUR seem like a high price at first, you're actually getting something that is worth more than that. You can always make your money back plus some extra if you no longer want it. And of course make someone else happy, who wants one desperately. ;)

I hope that we can soon make those waiting for the new batch happy, too. It might take until late September, though, since a lot of other stuff will be getting in the way until then. Stupid exams. :(

Posted on: 2010/8/3 18:07
VB Gamer
Joined 2010/4/8
12 Posts
Long Time User (9 Years)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Flashboy-Nintendo ... ain_0&hash=item35ab22fdf1

They did not ship to canada, so I can't place a bid on it

Posted on: 2010/8/3 18:18
VB Gamer
Joined 2007/10/21
45 Posts
Long Time User (12 Years)
Yeah, the one that went for 204 was mine actually. I'm a gamer and a collector. So I bought one to use, and one to keep in my collection. I also bought one for a friend who never decided to pick it up, and that was the one I sold. Normally these go for a lot less, but since they are currently unavailable, I got a good price. A simple supply and demand situation. I'm always amazed that people are upset when something sells for a good price, and you never hear from those same folks when something goes under value, and if you do, it's only because they missed out on a deal.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 18:31
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years)
Hey KR155E,

How would you guys feel if there were another USB flash cart on the market? I've been thinking about making one of my own but I wouldn't want to make anyone mad in the process. Mine would probably be made on a cheaper PCB so it would cost less than 90 Euro, and it would be based in the USA. Thoughts?

Also, I agree with your opinion that I think it's a great thing when people sell a cart that they are not using. It's not the seller's fault the cart sold for over 200, they were just passing on the flashboy to someone else who would use it, and it just happened to sell for a high price because the demand is high.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 21:38
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2519 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
Sure, go on! Would be a good thing for the community!

Posted on: 2010/8/3 22:49
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2003/9/3
Sweden
442 Posts
PVBCC EntryHighscore Top10 3rdCoderContributorHOTY09 2ndLong Time User (15 Years) DonatorApp CoderPVBCC 2010 1st20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 2nd
I would like there to be a widely available flash cart with battery backed sram. Adding save support to homebrew would be more useful then

Any plans at all of a "flashboy 2" with that feature?

Posted on: 2010/8/3 23:34
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years)
If I design a flash cart it will have battery-backed SRAM eventually. I haven't worked out how I will transfer save data to and from the SRAM though.

I have been researching this project for a while, but there is one major problem that I can't overcome right now - Basically, I can't find any flash memory chips still in production that can interface directly with the VB cartridge pins. It must be a 8-16 MBit flash IC with 5V-tolerant pins and a parallel addressing system. Almost all flash IC's in production today are either designed for 3.6V max or they are designed to read/write via SPI/I2C. This is fine for getting a ROM on the cart, but the VB won't be able to read the ROM data!

I see that the chip used in the Flashboy, at least according to the latest images on the the Flashboy section of this site, is an Intel DT28F160, but as far as I know that chip is obsolete and unavailable anywhere, and I can't find any comparable alternatives that are still in production.

If I can get some flash chips that fit the requirements, I think it would be pretty easy to design a new flashboy that can improve on the existing design and cost less.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post