Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Mario
Posted on: 8/6 15:55
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/1/5
Sweden
550 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years) Donator30+ Game Ratings
Here's one link-marked with a bit more VB:ish feel.

Attach file:

jpg  MT_link1200dpi_2.jpg (2,239.24 KB)
1239_59871fbc1f911.jpg 2620X2124 px

Posted on: 8/6 17:08
Virtual Freak
Joined 2016/12/15
USA
94 Posts
Patreon Backer
I couldn't resist. Here's my version. The graphic design was done by another PlanetVB member.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_20170802_160333~2.jpg (1,029.66 KB)
14261_598730fa0ce99.jpg 2527X2349 px
Edited by mellott124 on 2017/8/6 17:27

Posted on: 8/6 17:59
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1046 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (6 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

M.K. wrote:
So first I modified an emulator to to help me identify data and code sections. Then I spent a while playing the game to collect enough data and to identify unused code paths. Next, I wrote a disassembler that was able to disassemble the whole game by using the collected data.

That's a cool approach. I'm wondering if other games have more unused code as well. Faceball might have multiplayer code hidden somewhere after all.

It is pretty crazy that you managed to reactivate the multiplayer code. I played it with my wife for a bit. I noticed some balls getting lost right when they were over the net though. But maybe that was just my link cable or something.

Posted on: 8/6 18:05
Virtual Freak
Joined 2016/12/15
USA
94 Posts
Patreon Backer
Quote:

thunderstruck wrote:
Quote:

M.K. wrote:
So first I modified an emulator to to help me identify data and code sections. Then I spent a while playing the game to collect enough data and to identify unused code paths. Next, I wrote a disassembler that was able to disassemble the whole game by using the collected data.

That's a cool approach. I'm wondering if other games have more unused code as well. Faceball might have multiplayer code hidden somewhere after all.

It is pretty crazy that you managed to reactivate the multiplayer code. I played it with my wife for a bit. I noticed some balls getting lost right when they were over the net though. But maybe that was just my link cable or something.

Hi Thunder,

Shouldn't be the link cable. It would probably stop the game or you'd loose control completely.

Kevin

Posted on: 8/6 18:29
VB Gamer
Joined 6/24
USA
30 Posts
Patreon Backer
I am no good at this but I figured it was something to do this morning. My take on a new label. Feel free to comment on likes/dislikes.

Attach file:

jpg  Attempt2.jpg (1,418.16 KB)
14436_598743e302f94.jpg 2500X2013 px

Posted on: 8/6 21:07
Nintendoid!
Joined 2006/7/11
Sweden
133 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (11 Years) Donator20+ Game Ratings
Wow this is a dream come true. Lets put Birdo in the game again and relese it as cart. I really want this as a cart version. Anyone how can put this on cart?

Posted on: 8/6 23:03
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/1/5
Sweden
550 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years) Donator30+ Game Ratings
Among others, mellott124 has a cart base, he should be able to make a real cart of it.

http://www.mellottsvrpage.com/index.php/virtual-boy-cartridges/

Making a PCB isn't that hard, it's a lot harder to find donor carts for a reasonable price. Unless you have cash and can buy boxes of them from Japan or something like that.

The guy who had loads of Baseball carts is still portioning them out I guess?
Edited by e5frog on 2017/8/6 23:32

Posted on: 8/6 23:23
VB Gamer
Joined 2008/8/31
Germany
39 Posts
PVBCC 2ndHighscore Top10 2ndHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCoderLong Time User (9 Years) PVBCC 2013 1st
Quote:

thunderstruck wrote:
I'm wondering if other games have more unused code as well. Faceball might have multiplayer code hidden somewhere after all.

I spent several hours checking other games (including Faceball), but unfortunately I didn't find any traces of unused multiplayer code.

Quote:

thunderstruck wrote:
I played it with my wife for a bit. I noticed some balls getting lost right when they were over the net though. But maybe that was just my link cable or something.

Are you sure that the ball disappeard for no reason?
If there is a (serve) fault and the opponent returns the ball despite the fault, then the ball usually disappears somewhere around the net. Take a look at a serve fault here: https://youtu.be/mXbPchEiptM?t=56

Posted on: 8/7 9:14
VB Gamer
Joined 7/10
USA
31 Posts
yea carts of this would be awesome and def needs to happen. hoping that 3rd mode gets fixed one day

Posted on: 8/7 22:23
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1046 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (6 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

M.K. wrote:
Quote:

thunderstruck wrote:
I'm wondering if other games have more unused code as well. Faceball might have multiplayer code hidden somewhere after all.

I spent several hours checking other games (including Faceball), but unfortunately I didn't find any traces of unused multiplayer code.

Quote:

thunderstruck wrote:
I played it with my wife for a bit. I noticed some balls getting lost right when they were over the net though. But maybe that was just my link cable or something.

Are you sure that the ball disappeard for no reason?
If there is a (serve) fault and the opponent returns the ball despite the fault, then the ball usually disappears somewhere around the net. Take a look at a serve fault here: https://youtu.be/mXbPchEiptM?t=56

Might have been just that. Never saw it happening before.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post