Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: [Release] DaumenKinosaurier – VUEdition
Posted on: 7/21 20:49
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2427 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
Thanks guys, I am glad you like our little flipbook! As promised, here's the source code. Make sure you get the latest VUEngine from the repo (https://bitbucket.org/jorgeche/vuengine), since this will not compile with the version that is included in the 1.2.0 VBDE release.

Also, here's the DaumenKinosaurier git repository: https://bitbucket.org/KR155E/daumenkinosaurier

Quote:

Morintari wrote:
You really should consider writing a book or at least tutorials on how you did this. I mean I can draw in 3d in Pro Motion NG But what you have here is off the map! How ever did you do this just by drawing freehand?

Check the About pages in the demo, they explain how the graphics were done. It's actually rotoscoped 3D models.

Attach file:

7z daumenkinosaurier.src.7z Size: 1,981.20 KB; Hits: 25

Posted on: 7/22 0:20
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/12/15
USA
114 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Very nice!

Posted on: 7/22 0:26
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/10/23
Great Britain
380 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (7 Years) Donator
Great work guys. Looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Posted on: 7/22 16:37
Virtual Freak
Joined 1/31
Germany
59 Posts
Thanks for your feedback, everyone! Very glad you like it. Seems like the good old DaumenKinosaurier is in good hands here

Quote:

Benjamin Stevens wrote:
Nevertheless, the Japanese really does look to me like it is in its proper form for the above English translations.

Thank you very much - then it's good enough for me too

Quote:

Morintari wrote:
How ever did you do this just by drawing freehand?

Quote:

KR155E wrote:
Check the About pages in the demo, they explain how the graphics were done. It's actually rotoscoped 3D models.

That's right - rotoscopy does the trick, combined with 3d animation. I didn't want to make the release post too long, so I referred to the YouTube description. But of cause that's the interesing part to the graphics people, so here's some more detail:

1. 3D ANIMATION
The first step was, to create the complete animation with a 3d cgi software and render out a 2D draft image sequence (without caring for final textures or shading).

2. ROTOSCOPING
Then you can use these draft renderings, to redraw them by hand. Still in 2D, but you consider to draw some hidden layers in the background separately for regions that later may be revealed by parallaxe.

3. STEREO RENDERING
Finally, you map these drawings back into your origin 3d cgi scene. You're using the camera (same one that rendered the drafts) as a projector for the hand drawn textures. Then just pin some shifted cameras (or a 3d camera) to your projector to finally render out all the desired stereo views ... that's it!

Posted on: 7/22 16:40
Virtual Freak
Joined 1/31
Germany
59 Posts
Looking at the final ROM, I think KR155E's idea to port it to VB was a very good one. I wouldn't have had that idea my self - one reason is, I wouldn't have expected that it's possible to play video sequences on a nintendo device of that age (even if it's just 5 fps).

Another reason is, I wouldn't have expected that the drawing style of DKS still looks good in VB format - too low resolution and too few colors for the drawing details, I would have thought. But viewing the first test images, I was suprised how nice it looks.

I really think 3d is a main reason, why these images still look so nice in lower resolutions ...

Posted on: 7/23 4:29
Nintendoid!
Joined 2007/7/29
109 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years)
fantastic work gents ! Truly awesome to see this in action

Posted on: 7/23 5:13
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2011/7/3
USA
414 Posts
CoderContributorLong Time User (6 Years) App Coder40+ Game Ratings
Stereo Boy your work is incredible! and I'm not taking anything away from that. However just to let you know that through ProMotion NG "smart drawing"
by drawing curves you can do real 3d animations,and game graphics without the need of modeling in 3d or rotoscoping. Just to let you know. still incredible work!

Posted on: 7/23 7:23
Virtual Freak
Joined 2012/11/19
USA
96 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)
Quote:
Youtube 3D unfortunetly sucks since it was last "updated" - for me (firefox v.54 on windows) it only works with red/green glasses and I also have to flip them. It doesn't support my 3D monitor any longer
Luckily, it still works on the Nintendo 3DS! Not in the official YouTube app though (that also sucks) but in the 3DS' built-in internet browser (you probably have to adjust the 3D settings).

Looks awesome! Unfortunately I couldn't watch the video on my New 3DS (clicked on the large parallax version along with the others, but all of them said "this video is not available.")

Posted on: 7/23 20:14
Virtual Freak
Joined 1/31
Germany
59 Posts
Thaaanks!

Quote:
Morintari wrote:
However just to let you know that through ProMotion NG "smart drawing" by drawing curves you can do real 3d animations,and game graphics without the need of modeling in 3d or rotoscoping.
I know - You already showed me
I surely will use it when a find some time to do some 3D pixel art!

Quote:
MegaSilverX1 wrote:
"this video is not available."
Strange ... it's working on my new 3DS (with system software version 11.4). Region settings doesn't seem to be the problem - all 4 videos are available worldwide, my Youtube account says.
- Which 3DS system software are You using?
- Did you try other Youtube/Youtube3D videos?
You can find more 3D videos here: https://www.youtube.com/user/3D

Posted on: 7/24 7:16
Virtual Freak
Joined 2012/11/19
USA
96 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)
Quote:
Stereoboy wrote:
Strange ... it's working on my new 3DS (with system software version 11.4). Region settings doesn't seem to be the problem - all 4 videos are available worldwide, my Youtube account says.
- Which 3DS system software are You using?
- Did you try other Youtube/Youtube3D videos?
You can find more 3D videos here: https://www.youtube.com/user/3D

I'm using a New 3DSXL with version 11.5.0-38U. I was able to watch the 3D videos you linked no problem along with VectrexRoli's 3D videos.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post