Re: Long time user, first time posting. Any 95-96
Posted on: 2017/7/17 8:15
Virtual Freak
Joined 2017/7/10
USA
88 Posts
Quote:

tydyedsyko wrote:
VB OG here. When i was a kid my parents refused to purchase video game consoles that connected to the TV as it "would distract from schoolwork". When the VB came out i begged and begged because it did not connect to the TV and i got it for christmas! i was so very excited and i loved it. I used to take it everywhere. After a few years i discovered ebay and was able to pick up some additional games that were only available in Japan. I do not have all the games but i am still building my collection.

ha thats awesome! yea im still trying to finish my collection too :) im trying to finish it up here in the next few months

Posted on: 3/21 3:07
Joined 2/22
8 Posts
I got mine at launch. I was really hyped up courtesy of Nintendo Power. Saved up and dropped a bunch of cash at Toys R Us.

I ended up with six games and there itís sat on a shelf ever since.

Iíve just now gotten back into it and Iím up to 13 games, I think. NES Freak helped repair my ribbon cables, and Iíve really been enjoying it.

Posted on: 3/21 3:56
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/2/5
USA
35 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
I wanted everything video game related in 95, but didn't feel compelled to blow my birthday/xmas load on it - so ebay when I had some disposable income.

I wish I got mine at a yard sale or flea market before the days of "seller+smartphone+ebay = no deals to be had" and retro game stores buying all stock and driving the prices way up.

Posted on: 3/22 6:49
Virtual Freak
Joined 2017/7/10
USA
88 Posts
Quote:

mips5000 wrote:
I wanted everything video game related in 95, but didn't feel compelled to blow my birthday/xmas load on it - so ebay when I had some disposable income.

I wish I got mine at a yard sale or flea market before the days of "seller+smartphone+ebay = no deals to be had" and retro game stores buying all stock and driving the prices way up.

yea, that kinda disgusts me. luckily all retro games and consoles i actually bought when they came and and held onto. no such thing as deals anymore.

Posted on: 3/23 5:31
Joined 2016/5/28
6 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Quote:

Seam wrote:
Quote:

mips5000 wrote:

yea, that kinda disgusts me. luckily all retro games and consoles i actually bought when they came and and held onto. no such thing as deals anymore.

I find I can luck out sometimes, mostly at the local flea market when people just want to sell and don't care what it's worth. But sometimes, the local record store is a good hit. They have a number of employees that handle pricing items that get brought in, and while they love to inflate console prices, they don't always realize what they have. For example, I got the PS3 memory card adapter (to plug in your PS1/PS2 memory cards) for 5 bucks, back when it was worth around 50 or so.

But as for my VB story, it was basically the last Nintendo system I didn't own. I got two for myself for Christmas several years ago (an extra head unit, no stand or visor, was thrown in), and I loved the games (Mario Clash and Red Alarm are awesome). Then my screens died, so I put them in a box until I later learned that there were people who could fix them. Got it taken care of and now I'm back to running VB games. Really loving Galactic Pinball now, it's a lot of fun. And golf is better than expected, though a bit on the easy side to me.

The only thing i really would like is a better stand, something free-standing and adjustable would be great.

Posted on: 3/25 0:45
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1427 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (14 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
I wanted one as soon as I played a demo unit, but it was too expensive, so I had to wait to get my first one at T'R'U when they were clearing out at (I think) $25. The games were pretty cheap, too; $2.50-$5, IIRC, but I could only afford a couple. I think I got Mario Clash, Wario and Waterworld (because it was cheap, and there was no playable demo ).

I got my 2nd about a decade later at a thrift store for $5, with a Performance AC adapter and a copy of Vertical Force and a broken stand and no visor but still, not bad.

My 3rd and 4th were main unit only, and I got them in trade for some LED repairs. One of them was disassembled for donor parts (of which I still have a few).

Posted on: 3/25 1:17
Nintendoid!
Joined 2004/5/28
194 Posts
Long Time User (14 Years)
I wish I still had one :(

Posted on: 3/25 18:08
Virtual Freak
Joined 2006/10/2
96 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (11 Years)
I shopped Toys R Us until every last game was gone from the hidden places in their stock rooms at every local store. I don't believe they ever officially dropped the game prices below $9.99 for most, and $14.99 for Waterworld and Jack Bros (and 3D Tetris, I believe).

I can't recall the final clearance price for the systems - I believe it was $19.99, but it may have been $24.99. Anyone else recall?

I'm definitely getting old. I used to know all this stuff.

Quote:

RunnerPack wrote:
I wanted one as soon as I played a demo unit, but it was too expensive, so I had to wait to get my first one at T'R'U when they were clearing out at (I think) $25. The games were pretty cheap, too; $2.50-$5, IIRC, but I could only afford a couple. I think I got Mario Clash, Wario and Waterworld (because it was cheap, and there was no playable demo ).

I got my 2nd about a decade later at a thrift store for $5, with a Performance AC adapter and a copy of Vertical Force and a broken stand and no visor but still, not bad.

My 3rd and 4th were main unit only, and I got them in trade for some LED repairs. One of them was disassembled for donor parts (of which I still have a few).

Posted on: 3/25 19:35
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/6/24
USA
35 Posts
I bought Teleroboxer for $5 I believe at Walmart

Posted on: 3/26 5:26
VB Gamer
Joined 2015/5/11
USA
17 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Quote:

RunnerPack wrote:

My local Toys R Us back in the day was also clearing them out for $25. Brand spanking mint new units.. just try and get a crusty beat up stand alone unit today for that price, let alone a brand new or complete unit. Unfortunately back then I didn't have the cash right that day, so I returned a few days later with money and the goal of buying one along with a few games, that were selling for like $10 each, but alas at that point everything was gone. It was heart-breaking and still stings to this day to think about it.

And that's a major reason why I don't have one today. Looking at the prices today it's just such a difficult pill to swallow because it makes me think about what I missed out on and just kills the buzz.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post