Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Game idea & mockup thread
Posted on: 2015/5/20 3:08
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
830 Posts
Highscore Top10Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (4 Years)
I don't care if it takes years, I don't want to spoil the surprise!

I like the chiptunes you've linked, just enough to get a little taste of the vibe you're going for.

Posted on: 2015/5/23 3:44
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
322 Posts
CoderLong Time User (4 Years)
I've decided that even though I can't draw good pictures, I'll just have to find a way to make the game with sucky pictures instead. (-: I mean, really, think of some of the simpler cartoons you've seen. Do they not work well even with sucky graphics?

Open in new window
Open in new window

Look at that thing. It's a circle with a rectangle for a body. If Craig McCracken could make The Powerpuff Girls out of that, then I gosh darn better be able to do something... I'll have to think on it and see what I come up with.

Guess I'd better start fleshing out the details of the game, then. They look like they'll come into play sooner than expected.

Posted on: 2015/5/24 3:12
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
830 Posts
Highscore Top10Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (4 Years)
South Park literally started out made of construction paper.

People preferred my stick men comics to the ones where I actually flesh it out. It could be my crappy drawing skills, or maybe it was easier for me to inject personality into the simpler drawings.

Or maybe sometimes simplicity can tell a story better than complexity.

Posted on: 2015/6/4 9:13
VB Gamer
Joined 2009/12/16
25 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (7 Years)
I always thought a haunted house simulator with a Texas Chainsaw massacre theme would be neat. You could play as leather face and hunt down as many victims in an aloted time or, you could be the hunted and try and survive for as long as possible.

Attach file:

jpg  image.jpg (209.44 KB)
1223_556ffa5c7c0c5.jpg 1024X819 px

jpg  image.jpg (236.25 KB)
1223_556ffa76948a3.jpg 1024X1024 px

Posted on: 3/14 16:48
Virtual Freak
Joined 2014/1/16
France
60 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
This thread deserves more views.

Also I've seen these mockups on a pixel art site:

Open in new window

http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/16450.htm

Open in new window

http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/54631.htm

Posted on: 4/10 19:08
Joined 4/1
USA
8 Posts
I'd be willing to help create an RPG. I can do all the writing, art work and music, if anyone else would like to write coding and help with development? I'd totally be in for the long haul. It might be a great segway into getting development teams together to create more homebrew games.

Posted on: 7/19 14:09
Virtual Freak
Joined 2014/1/16
France
60 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
I update with a little idea I'd love to see realized, but infortunately I don't have the skills to do it by myself, even if it should be easy to do.

I spend much time drawing in stereoscopy. But I can't really see what I've done because red and blue anaglyph doesn't work exactly like a full rendition on two displays. So I wonder if anyone could create a little piece of software to display anaglyphs on VB.

The software itself should just be two paths to complete, one for the right view and one for the left view. Then the software could write the two pictures inside an image viewer inside a VB rom. You then put the padded rom onto the flashboy, start the VB and can look at your picture in stereo on your VB !

I know the 3dVBConverteer, but it works differently, as it cannot "invent" the missing pixels. For example:

Open in new window

On the right view, 3dVBConverter cannot recreate the pixel along the right border. So you have to create two separate pictures to obtains full view.

So, is there anyone willing to help me (and the community altogether) by creating a software to merge two 2D pictures into one viewer rom ?

Posted on: 7/20 22:36
Virtual Freak
Joined 1/31
Germany
56 Posts
If I understand you right, I'd love to see it realized too. But it seems to me, you're mixing up three different topics?

- Anaglyphs (color-composited 3D images for the corresponding 3D glasses)
- 3D conversion (converting a single 2D image to a 3D image = recontructing a second 2D image from slightly offset perspective)
- image-to-ROM converter for VB (merging left and right 3D image files into a Stereo-Viewer-ROM for VB)

I'd totally support the last one - and KR155E already provided me a nice workaround for this: a template project for VBDE 1.2.0, in which I can replace placeholder images (a fixed count of three images) with my own 3D images and then follow some easy steps to compile them into a ROM and finally browse them on VB - with zero developer skills
KR155E also told me, that he will include an improved "stereo viewer template" in the upcoming release of VBDE

I guess, this is what you're looking for too? If you already want to try this workaround with the current VBDE version, I could post the current stereo viewer template with a little step-by-step guide ...

Posted on: 7/27 9:58
Virtual Freak
Joined 2014/1/16
France
60 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Yes, it's totally what i'm looking for. I work currently with red and blue anaglyph on my computer but the result is bad. Or at least, it would be better on a VB.

Here is another example I made with ProMotion NG: the spaceship in 2001: Space Oddyssey. I think the red and blue looks good because I conceived the picture from start with anaglyph in mind, but it's not as good as it would be on the VB. So all I need is a little software where I indicate left picture, right picture, and the software saves them as a rom, 2001.vb for my example. Then I put this rom into the Flashboy, and I can admire my work in full 3D. (of course the spaceship has too much colors, I used 12 colours, but it's just an example).

It would be to the artist to be sure his pictures are in the good format (384*224, maybe .gif or .png, no alpha, 4 colours)

Attach file:

png  2001.png (24.40 KB)
3898_59799b36a0fe0.png 700X200 px

png  2001double.png (20.84 KB)
3898_59799b4029432.png 700X400 px

Posted on: 8/10 11:57
Virtual Freak
Joined 1/31
Germany
56 Posts
The software I use for this is Virtual Boy Development Environment (VBDE) - which actually is a developer software, but I can use KR155E's Stereo Viewer template without any programming skills. So this may not be the handy tool you have in mind, but it's a nice workaround that works pretty well for me to visualize 3d images on the VB harware.

In consultation with KR155E, I'm going to post his Stereo Viewer template in a couple of days, along with a step-by-step guide on how I'm using it ...

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post