Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: [ENTRY] Game Boy Emulator
Posted on: 2014/3/6 1:34
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/12/28
Slovenia
592 Posts
Highscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCoderContributorTop10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (8 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:
akumie wrote:
c:\Users\Alex\desktop\spel\nintendo\virtualboy

You forgot to put the CD command before that.
Quote:
c:\rominjector.exe\GMEMU.vb\paperboy.gb
c:\rominjector.exe\exe.vb\paperboy.gb

That won't work, you're telling the computer to execute the file c:\rominjector.exe\GMEMU.vb\paperboy.gb and c:\rominjector.exe\exe.vb\paperboy.gb.
Quote:
c:\rominjector.exe GMEMU.vb paperboy.gb
c:\rominjector.exe exe.vb paperboy.gb

That should work if rominjector.exe is in C:\.

Posted on: 2014/3/6 3:23
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
738 Posts
Highscore Top10Long Time User (3 Years)Top10 Poster10+ Game Ratings
For the DOS challenged:

Refer to pictures for step 1 and 2. If you don't have a folder setup like in the picture then set one up like it.

Step 3: Take file output from the command prompt and flash to your flashboy. File MUST end up as 2 megabytes. Just use different combinations of ROMS to get the output file to that size.

Attach file:

jpg  step1.jpg (208.14 KB)
3422_5317dba1ee080.jpg 1099X742 px

jpg  step2.jpg (196.52 KB)
3422_5317dbb44c90c.jpg 1102X655 px

Posted on: 2014/3/6 3:26
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
740 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)Top10 Poster30+ Game Ratings
to make sure you didn't mistype anything, let the DOS shell do the typing for you. just type the 1st letter and then press TAB to complete.

Posted on: 2014/3/6 3:55
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
738 Posts
Thanks for the update MK!

Things I've noticed:

The status text indeed no longer scrolls in Mario Land. Still blinky graphical glitches (this occurs in every game though)

Mario Land 2 still won't get past the title screen. I have noticed if you wait for the demo the demo level works, so it's just the save select screen that's borked. Oddly enough all is fine with Mario Land 3, even though it incorporates a similar save select screen.

Bomberman is now playable as the characters are now visible.

The lady at the Pokecenter still steals your Pokemon from you in Red.

Something I've wondered, is it possible to have an option to switch the A and B buttons? It'd be nice to be able to have it like the gameboy originally is, it appears to be backwords.

Thanks again, really appreciate the update and the possibility of further work on this project.

Posted on: 2014/3/6 4:46
VB Gamer
Joined 2008/8/31
Germany
33 Posts
PVBCC 2ndHighscore Top10 2ndHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCoderLong Time User (8 Years) PVBCC 2013 1st
Here's a version with swapped buttons and a video of the emulator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmbPamn5fJw

Attach file:

zip gbemu_140306.zip Size: 24.55 KB; Hits: 186

Posted on: 2014/3/6 6:05
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
738 Posts
Awesome, thanks man! Much easier! I'm gonna strive to beat Mario land on my VB now =P

Wow, that runs awesome for you in that video. This is what it looks like on my Virtual Boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNgYxysj510

Probably best to view at 720p or 1080p. It's hard to see in Mario land in this video since they happen so quickly, but you can sometimes see the garbled game bits that blink in and out. It's much easier to see in the zelda portion, where character sprites get kinda messed. Does it do that for you on hardware?

Posted on: 2014/3/6 19:02
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2007/10/27
Sweden
388 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (9 Years) 40+ Game Ratings
Thank you, finally worked
I was wondering why it never worked after seeing a image tutorial and I noticed the GBEMU.vb file was always empty then I tried the output file i named output1.vb and voila the games where in them
I read you need 2 mb to make it work on the vb hardware but whats the max mb that the flashboy will accept, 16 mb?

Posted on: 2014/3/6 19:11
VB Gamer
Joined 2008/8/31
Germany
33 Posts
PVBCC 2ndHighscore Top10 2ndHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCoderLong Time User (8 Years) PVBCC 2013 1st
Quote:

speedyink wrote:
...It's hard to see in Mario land in this video since they happen so quickly, but you can sometimes see the garbled game bits that blink in and out. It's much easier to see in the zelda portion, where character sprites get kinda messed. Does it do that for you on hardware?

Yes, that's something I have to fix. But at the moment it's a bit difficult to test it on real hardware, because my displays are extremely glitchy.

Here's a new version with fixed 3D feature.
BTW the 3D effect works best with vertical shooters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXST36pj2oQ

Attach file:

zip gbemu_140306b.zip Size: 24.55 KB; Hits: 175

gif  solarstriker.gif (3.31 KB)
843_5318b9e185456.gif 384X224 px

Posted on: 2014/3/7 1:33
Nintendoid!
Joined 2014/1/3
USA
168 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)40+ Game Ratings
I have to say that I really am amazed. Not only did you bring us an emulator, but you went even further and added 3D visuals. This is really amazing and I am enjoying the heck out of it! Thanks a lot for all your hard work.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 6:12
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
738 Posts
Quote:

M.K. wrote:
Quote:

Yes, that's something I have to fix. But at the moment it's a bit difficult to test it on real hardware, because my displays are extremely glitchy.

Here's a new version with fixed 3D feature.
BTW the 3D effect works best with vertical shooters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXST36pj2oQ

Alright, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. Ahh, yes, that would make it a bit hard I suppose.

Another update! Thanks for the continued work on this!

Register To Post