Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: I give up fixing my Virtual Boy, it
Posted on: 3/18 20:21
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
869 Posts
Highscore Top10Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (4 Years)
Huh...doesn't look like he's done a whole lot. Possibly he uses a heat gun to re-seat the glue. It's technically not an oven!

Posted on: 3/18 22:37
PVB Elite
Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
507 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (7 Years)
This is bad, nothing permanent and not really a fix. Sorry to say, but the problem will return, could take a year or two, but it unfortunately will happen.

Thanks for clearing up what he does to "repair" them. Too bad it cost you money to no avail.
Edited by TheForce81 on 2017/3/18 23:19

Posted on: 3/19 0:00
VB Gamer
Joined 2/5
14 Posts
Well it serves me right for going the cheapest route. My wife always tells me cheap people pay twice! If it reverts back to a bad picture, I'll blame myself for not clarifying exactly what would be done to it before sending it in.

I'm thinking a heat gun was used too. The guy didn't want to tell me this because it sounds so ridiculous. I'm gonna try to ask him what was done directly.. can't hurt.

If it ever reverts back, and this person is nowhere to be found for the lifetime guarantee, I'll prob try to solder it myself, or send it over to someone on here if they're still doing the repairs.

Posted on: 3/19 0:19
VB Gamer
Joined 2/5
14 Posts
Do you guys think this looks "pressed" compared to a brand new ribbon cable?

This is the area where the "glue" usually rises up and creates a bad connection between the ribbon cable copper, and the metal on the display chip?

Attach file:

png  virtual boy ribbon cable repaired.PNG (1,842.03 KB)
14289_58cdc05fade17.png 1663X720 px

Posted on: 3/19 21:02
PVB Elite
Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
507 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (7 Years)
You know what, since you dared to experiment on the repairs and posting your findings here, which helps the community to know if there is another good method of repairing the displays and how, I am willing to repair them with the soldering method for free if you want me to.
You only have to pay for the shipping costs and if you send the displays without the head unit, that saves you a lot on shipping!

If you want to use my offer, just send me a PM and we will sort it out.

Posted on: 3/21 22:48
VB Gamer
Joined 2/5
14 Posts
Hey TheForce81, thanks a lot for that offer. I would still pay you for your time of course. I finally have a working VB and I almost beat Wario Land for the first time last weekend. One level left.

I'll play a few more games while its working, when I get a break with it, I'll send you a PM and ask about your services. Thanks again for the generosity.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post