You are not logged in.
Lost Password?


Register To Post



 Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

#61
Re: VBDE: A Virtual Boy Development Environment
Posted on: 7/15 15:25
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2400 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
Nice, I'll include your lauchner with the next VBDE release!
Top

#62
Re: VBDE: A Virtual Boy Development Environment
Posted on: 7/19 22:55
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1034 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (6 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
I actually started developing a new game. To make things a bit easier I started extracting my image-converter code into its own library. Right now all of my projects use a custom version.

I then added a precompiler to vbde that converts all images in the directory "images" into bgmaps and charsets. I also extended libgccvb with a generic image loading code. The converted images come with a load function, so adding images to a game is now extremely easy.

I sill need to make a view tweaks but I will release a first version very soon. I'm also considering to make all of this open source.
Top

#63
Re: VBDE: A Virtual Boy Development Environment
Posted on: 7/23 19:28
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1034 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (6 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
OK, so there seems to be a problem with vbde. If I build the demos or any other project they look fine in the emulators but the graphics are all messed up on hardware. I remembered that I had the problem before and that I asked about it in my very first post: http://www.planetvb.com/modules/newbb ... t_id=16936#forumpost16936

I noticed that vbde uses multiple versions of crt0.s and vb.ld. An older version for libgccvb projects and a newer version for vuengine projects. Using the newer versions in libgccvb does not fix the problem. However, if I use the newer vb.ld in combination with the crt0.o that dasi posted in the link above everything looks fine.

As the default makefile does not copy object files from the source directory I had to change the makefile to be able to compile everything properly.

I have to day that this is rather disappointing. I started converting all of my projects so that I can run them with all the compiler improvements and stuff. Now I had to switch back to older files.

Kr155e, maybe you can look into this?
Top

#64
Re: VBDE: A Virtual Boy Development Environment
Posted on: 7/23 20:54
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1034 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (6 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Krisse and I debugged the problem. Seems like the crt0.o is no longer calling vbSetColTable(). I could fix the demos by simply calling the method from code before vbDisplayOn.

Attached are the newer libs that do to vbde\libs\libgccvb\compiler. They are essentially the same the vuengine is using.

The interrupt names change as well, so the interrupt.h has to look like this:
extern u32 keyVector;
extern u32 timVector;
extern u32 croVector;
extern u32 comVector;
extern u32 vpuVector;

Attach file:


zip compiler.zip Size: 2.81 KB; Hits: 9
Top

#65
Re: VBDE: A Virtual Boy Development Environment
Posted on: 7/25 20:49
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1034 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (6 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
So, the image converter is in a pretty solid state and works fine within vbde. I actually did the same for my Midi converter. Because the code was in a horrible state I rewrote most of it. I also added my music player to libgccvb so midi conversion and playing music is now rather easy as well. I will try to make a video to show what I'm talking about.

Next I will start making a smaller game to see how useful everything actually is.
Top

 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic


Register To Post