Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Mario's Tennis Multiplayer Patch
Posted on: 8/5 15:01
VB Gamer
Joined 2008/8/31
Germany
41 Posts
PVBCC 2ndHighscore Top10 2ndHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCoderLong Time User (9 Years) PVBCC 2013 1st
Although no one has found multiplayer code in Mario's Tennis so far, I decided to take a look for myself. So first I modified an emulator to to help me identify data and code sections. Then I spent a while playing the game to collect enough data and to identify unused code paths. Next, I wrote a disassembler that was able to disassemble the whole game by using the collected data.
After taking a first look at the unused code, I was surprised to find quite much code that looked like proper multiplayer code. So I spent some time doing an in-depth analysis of the code and eventually I was able to reintegrate it into the game. A first test revealed that the controls of one of the players were inverted. This was probably done by the developers for easier testing. Unfortunately, the proper code bits were probably removed by a compile switch, so I had to rewrite them myself.
So far, I got 2 of 3 game modes (P1 vs P2 and P1/COM vs P2/COM) working properly. The third mode (P1/P2 vs COM/COM) is buggy and I probably won't fix it anytime soon, because debugging and testing is too time-consuming without an emulator with link cable support. But once I have the necessary tools, I will try to fix it. Till then enjoy the first version of my patch. To apply the patch you have to use the tool bspatch.

Attach file:

bspatch multiplayer_v1.bspatch Size: 1.70 KB; Hits: 115

Re: Mario
Posted on: 8/5 15:27
Nintendoid!
Joined 2012/10/16
194 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)
You're the best. Very cool as expected. Still testing it, just got my cable.

Posted on: 8/5 16:11
Virtual Freak
Joined 2008/4/23
Great Britain
71 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (9 Years)
Amazing work. Mario's Tennis was always a good game for showing off what the VB could do, so adding (re-enabling) multiplayer makes it even better.

Posted on: 8/5 17:42
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/12/15
USA
114 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
I've been playing 2 player with my daughter. Whole new game! Thanks. I'm glad we have another major title now for 2 player. Amazing work!

Posted on: 8/5 17:51
Nintendoid!
Joined 2007/11/10
Austria
129 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years)
Wow!!! Thanks for that!

Posted on: 8/5 17:58
VB Gamer
Joined 2008/8/31
Germany
41 Posts
PVBCC 2ndHighscore Top10 2ndHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCoderLong Time User (9 Years) PVBCC 2013 1st
Thanks.
I uploaded a video for those that can not test it:
https://youtu.be/mXbPchEiptM

Posted on: 8/5 18:02
VB Gamer
Joined 2006/6/17
Greece
45 Posts
Long Time User (11 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
Thank You kind sir!

Posted on: 8/5 18:19
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/1/5
Sweden
550 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years) Donator30+ Game Ratings
Really nice of you!

Are there any links to the patching tool?

EDIT found one.
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/929/

Posted on: 8/5 18:56
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2015/3/28
USA
268 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Simply incredible!!! Thank you, M.K.!!!

Posted on: 8/5 20:34
VB Gamer
Joined 6/24
USA
32 Posts
I must agree that this is amazing. I only discovered this forum a few months ago but it has definetly revived the love I have always had for this console. I appreciate all the hard work I see that this community has/is putting in.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post