Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

[Release] DaumenKinosaurier – VUEdition
Posted on: 7/21 0:03
Virtual Freak
Joined 1/31
Germany
56 Posts
Hi everyone,

just to shorten the waiting time for M.K.'s patch a little bit ...

DaumenKinosaurier: an awarded stereoscopic flip book – now officially released on Virtual Boy

Today, KR155E and me are very proud to release this little project, which kept us having fun for a couple of months now. It's based on "DaumenKinosaurier" – a 3D short movie that I've made as a student back in 2009. So basically, this ROM is a 3D movie player ... for the Virtual Boy!

About the movie

DKS was a visual experiment made for a stereoscopic contest in 2009. The visual idea was to create a hand drawn, stereoscopic flipbook. Fore more detailed information and full movie credits, please check the videos's description on YouTube.
You can find different 3d versions of the original movie on YouTube (duration approx. 1 minute):

small parallax version – for bigger 3d screens like cinemas
medium parallax version – for medium size 3d screens like TVs and PCs
large parallax version – for smaller 3d screens like mobile devices
zero parallax version – flat 2D version (but full 720p resolution instead)

About the VB port

On March 8th I received an e-mail from KR155E – Jorgeche and him experimented with video playback using VUEngine at this time. DKS seemed to be very suitable for this approach, so he asked me if we want to port it to the Virtual Boy ... well ... OF CAUSE!! I immediately started to optimize the original footage for a Virtual Boy presentation and provided the images to KR155E, who did the development on this. Togehther, we tried out different things, realized and discarded many ideas. My favorite feature in this ROM is the "Animation Gallery".

One challenge due to this project also was to fit a full minute of film onto a standard 16 MBit FlashBoy! To achieve this, we had to optimize animation loops, reduce the sound design to a minimum and also shorten one of the scenes. The good thing about this is: you don't have to care for padding modes at all – this ROM will fill up your FlashBoy with pure animation till the last byte!

Very special thanks also go out to jorgeche, who especially helped KR155E a lot with debugging and even implemented a new VUEngine animation method due to this project!

We also decided, to release this as open source! So please feel free to download the project files and use them as a template for your own VBDE projects – KR155E is going to post the source code in this thread soon ...

DKS: VUEdition – CONTROLs:

Play Flipbook: standard movie playback
[A] – toggle play/pause
[B] – (while paused) quit playback and return to main menu

Animation Gallery: browse the movie's animations and frames
[A] – toggle play/pause
[B] – quit browsing and return to main menu
[L/R-Triggers] – scene browsing
[D-PADs] (while paused) – frame browsing

About: read some project info & the credits
[A] – continue reading
[B] – quit reading and return to main menu

DKS is one player only and has no saving functions.

DKS: VUEdition – CREDITs:

Programmer: Christian Radke
Graphics: Marten Reiί
Development Support: Jorge Eremiev

So please – grab your FlashBoys, start your (VU)Engines and enjoy! We're very curious to read your feedback on this homebrew!

[The screenshots attached to this post are optimized for cross-eyed 3d viewing]

Attach file:

zip DKS-VUE_v1.0.zip Size: 740.69 KB; Hits: 75

jpg  DKS-VUE_box-draft.jpg (277.36 KB)
14288_59712f1e1a80b.jpg 747X747 px

png  DKS-VUE_mainmenu_cross-eyed.png (25.96 KB)
14288_59713b9119714.png 746X224 px

png  DKS-VUE_movieplayer_cross-eyed.png (9.67 KB)
14288_59713b9d3e4df.png 746X224 px

png  DKS-VUE_credits_cross-eyed.png (13.87 KB)
14288_59713bb0af3a9.png 746X224 px

gif  DKS-VUE_animation-gallery.gif (32.84 KB)
14288_59713bf0acd32.gif 384X224 px
Edited by StereoBoy on 2017/7/21 0:30
Edited by StereoBoy on 2017/7/21 0:31
Edited by StereoBoy on 2017/7/21 0:51
Edited by StereoBoy on 2017/7/21 1:26

Re: [Release] DaumenKinosaurier – VUEdition
Posted on: 7/21 1:00
Virtual Freak
Joined 2006/10/2
62 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (10 Years)
Very cool - but the Youtube videos don't work. :(

Posted on: 7/21 1:30
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
830 Posts
Highscore Top10Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (4 Years)
Hey, this is really cool! I really like how well done everything is, how the title screen seamlessly blends in with the start, and the nice looking credits. The animation and just everything looks really nice on the Virtual Boy displays. Very cool! I wonder if we were to get a larger Flashboy in the future, if there could be longer more fleshed out animations for the VB!

Posted on: 7/21 2:02
VB Gamer
Joined 2009/5/1
25 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (8 Years)
This looks really neat! I can't wait to give it a try when I get home.

Posted on: 7/21 2:33
Virtual Freak
Joined 1/31
Germany
56 Posts
Thank You guys!

Quote:

pinmagic wrote:
Youtube videos don't work

Youtube 3D unfortunetly sucks since it was last "updated" - for me (firefox v.54 on windows) it only works with red/green glasses and I also have to flip them. It doesn't support my 3D monitor any longer
Luckily, it still works on the Nintendo 3DS! Not in the official YouTube app though (that also sucks) but in the 3DS' built-in internet browser (you probably have to adjust the 3D settings).

Quote:

speedyink wrote:
a larger Flashboy

I actually heard some very exciting rumors about a bigger flash cart lately! I don't know any details or who's developing it, but I believe we can look forward to some bigger content on VB in the near future

Posted on: 7/21 4:49
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
1957 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10Contributor#2 PosterLong Time User (6 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Beautiful. Very nice job!

Posted on: 7/21 11:29
Virtual Freak
Joined 1/31
Germany
56 Posts
Thanks! You do a lot of Japanese translation - can you tell me, if the Japanese lines on the box draft make sense?
I just used google translator (and Japanese wikipedia) to get them ...

VUEngine を使用しています ("using VUEngine"?)
3次元 パラパラマンガ ("3D Flipbook"?)
ステレオグラム ("Stereogram")
Edited by StereoBoy on 2017/7/21 12:09
Edited by StereoBoy on 2017/7/21 12:10

Posted on: 7/21 17:25
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2011/7/3
USA
412 Posts
CoderContributorLong Time User (6 Years) App Coder40+ Game Ratings
You really should consider writing a book or at least tutorials on how you did this. I mean I can draw in 3d in Pro Motion NG But what you have here is off the map! How ever did you do this just by drawing freehand?

Posted on: 7/21 18:26
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1034 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (6 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
This does indeed look very cool.

Posted on: 7/21 20:27
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
1957 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10Contributor#2 PosterLong Time User (6 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Quote:

StereoBoy wrote:
Thanks! You do a lot of Japanese translation - can you tell me, if the Japanese lines on the box draft make sense?
I just used google translator (and Japanese wikipedia) to get them ...

VUEngine を使用しています ("using VUEngine"?)
3次元 パラパラマンガ ("3D Flipbook"?)
ステレオグラム ("Stereogram")

Yes, I do conclude that the first line translates to:
I (or we) am/are using the VUEngine

And the second line translates to:
3D Flipbook

And the third line translates to:
Stereogram

To be sure, my experience with the Japanese language only lets me translate Japanese that is already in its proper form into English, but I cannot necessarily take English and put it into proper Japanese form. Nevertheless, the Japanese really does look to me like it is in its proper form for the above English translations.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post